Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

my ALT was 64 and 62 last tests (3 weeks apart). AST was

Customer Question

my ALT was 64 and 62 last tests (3 weeks apart). AST was normal, and for second test abstained from alcohol for 2 weeks. Had a cortisone injection about 1 to 1.5 months prior to tests, as well as many vaccines for overseas travel prior to second test (typhoid, Jap encephalitis, new tetanus, polio, etc).

Just got off of 5 years on tamoxifone for BC treatment. Last month on tamoxfine taking alleve for arthritis, and still drinking moderately. This was ~ 2 months prior to initial ALT test.

Can any of these medications/vaccines cause elevated ALT?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Alcohol is the most common cause of increased ALT. Aleve can possibly cause increased liver enzymes but it is rare and usually from overdose. It's also a fairly common side effect of Tamoxifen therapy that can continue for months afterward. The vaccines aren't implicated in high liver enzymes.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--I'd like to add a very important point here. If we assume the alcohol is the culprit for this, you should abstain from any alcohol from now on, since your liver is already sensitive and continued drinking may make this worse. And I would also suggest you be very careful with your use of Tylenol or antiinflammatory medications and use those only under your doctor's supervision.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have done a fair amount of reading on the web, and alcohol overuse is typically associated with elevated AST, with the ratio of AST to ALT being 2X or greater. My AST to ALT ratio is 1 to 2, so is your assessment still that it is alcohol and/or tamoxifen? I have had hepatic function panels done every 6 mos the last 5 years and this is the first time anything usual has shown up. Any link with the cortisone shot?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
True about what you said about the enzymes and alcohol abuse but I was just saying that any liver which demonstrates an elevation of ALT should be considered sensitive. The cortisone injection wouldn't have caused this.