Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

Every once in awhile my heart feels like it skips a beat or

Customer Question

Every once in awhile my heart feels like it skips a beat or beats really fast for a few beats. Then today it felt like it sort of spasm'ed...but it didn't hurt, just kinda caught my breath. I've had EKG's before and they are always normal. Is this anything to be concerned about or just something normal? I constantly get painless muscle twitches (fasciculations?) all over my body which I think are related to taking Cymbalta and since the heart is a muscle is it possible that it's being affected too? I'm 37 and do have a heavy family history of heart problems (and diabetes etc) but I think I'm too young still for these types of problems.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Have you ever had an EKG while you had these symptoms?

Customer:

Not while I'm having them no

Dr Brims :

Okay

Dr Brims :

This means you need to be evaluated while the symptoms occur to diagnose the problem

Dr Brims :

That ,means you may have to wear a holter monitor

Customer:

but if it only happens every once in awhile, how will they pick it up?

Dr Brims :

That will make it difficult, are there any triggers?

Dr Brims :

How long does each episode last?

Customer:

only lasts a few seconds

Customer:

and the only time i've noticed any triggers is when i drink caffeine i get a few more of the flutters

Dr Brims :

Then you may have the symptoms with caffeine if you have a holter

Customer:

so i should drink caffeine while i have a holter?

Dr Brims :

Yes, that would be a good start

Customer:

hmm interesting ok, i would have thought the opposite

Customer:

there's never any pain with it, so i didn't know if it could be bad

Dr Brims :

It can be bad, bt may lead to the formation of blood clots in your heart

Customer:

ok, i will definitely talk to my dr about it then

Dr Brims :

That is good

Customer:

thought maybe it was just all related to my constant muscle twitches

Customer:

thank you

Dr Brims :

You're welcome,

If you have other questions at another time you may request me by starting your question with "for Dr Brims"

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic

If not, please click the green ACCEPT button to end this chat session

Customer:

ok thanks!

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience