Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Has to be an answer to this question. I had a RFA procedure

Has to be an answer to this question. I had a RFA procedure done on my back and was told before they put me under that they would wake me up so I could tell them when I felt the zapping. Instead I woke up being electrocuted on my left side. I screamed for them to stop and was put back under, they then woke me enough to have me tell them when I felt the zapping on my right side. I am now permanently disabled because of nerve issues due to this. I am not out to sue the doctor....that time has since come and gone....I want to know how this could happen.....mechanical disfunction, doctors disfunction. They clearly started without me and I need to know if it was the machine or the doctor...there has to be an answer for this.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--what exactly is the disability you incurred?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The day I had the RFA my buttocks burned as if I had a sunburn, felt like a thousand needles in my rear, at times felt like I had been injected with a needle and this has been the same since I had the RFA over 3 years ago. A year after the RFA I had a spinal fusion. The spinal fusion was a success because the pain I originally went to the doctor with was corrected. My back doctor sent me to a pain specialist who performed the RFA and I have been in pain every since....not the pain I had that required the spinal fusion. Since the RFA I cannot wear clothes.....I live in pajamas and cannot sit, stand or lay for very long periods. In June of this year I drove back to NY and had an MRI done and after I returned home my back doctor has since put me at 100% permanently disabled. After the RFA I went to my regular doctor and told him that my pain specialist was a bad man....he replied, " I know, what did he do to hurt you", I told him and told him I was going to sue him and he said DO IT....I did not. My pain specialist every month for six months tried putting me on heavy drugs for this....they did not help and gave me nightmares so I went to another pain specialist and told him about the prescriptions he was trying to put me on and he said...I would never have put you on any of these drugs....the day of my spinal fusion my pain specialist was at the hospital and while I was talking to the anesthesiologist he came grabbed my chart to look at it and the anesthesiologist pulled it out of his hand and said ....this is not your patient. So, to make a short story long,,,sorry....the disability is because I am in constant pain and my back doctor knows this. I am not sure as to what the MRI showed but I know my back doctor would not put me at 100% disabled just for the hell of it. But my original question is besides negligence from the doctor....what could have caused me to be electrocuted before they woke me up to tell them when I felt the zapping. Like I said I am not out to sue the doctor that time has long since come and gone....I want to know if mechanical malfunction was possible or if the doctor did this. I need to know and I deserve to know because my life is ruined. Again....not going to sue the doctor......I just need to know....

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
I understand. Can you tell me more about this feeling of being electrocuted?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The best way for me to describe it is if you are on a tens unit and have it as high as it will go, but much worse.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. So you'd like to know what exactly happened when this happened to you/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I want to know if it was a machine dysfuntion or if it was negligence on the doctor who performed it. I should have been awoken to tell them when I felt it instead I woke up to the electrocution. Either the machine started by itself or the doctor zapped me while I was under and did not wake me up to tell them when I felt it....I know what happened to me after the RFA ......I am ruined
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. It sounds as though the frequency and power of the machine may have been set too high and there may even have been a power surge in the equipment. As to the doctor's being negligent, if the settings were too high, then, yes, one would deem that negligence.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you and would it also not be negligence on the doctor to start it without waking me up first?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Well, that wouldn't account for the damage done--that would have happened whether you'd been awakened or not.