Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hi Thank you for the help regarding gluten and medicines that

Hi Thank you for the help regarding gluten and medicines that you gave me a few months ago. I have a new gluten-&-mends question now. If a name-brand OTC medicine is gluten-free, and the generic version lists the same ingredients, can I assume the generic is also GF? In particular, is "microcrystalline cellulose" a GF ingredient? THANK YOU!
Hi, the simple answer is yes, the generic would be just as GF as the brand name, and cellulose is not a protein and not related to gluten
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But starches can be problematic although not proteins. Can microcrystalline cellulose come from any kind of plant? (I would be leery of wheat-derived starch but not corn-derived starch.)

Btw - nice to work w/ you again. How's the tango and cider etc coming along? :-)

Oh, yes, I remember--great mixtures. What's your problem with starches?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I avoid wheat starch unless it's CODEX wheat starch which has as much protein washed out as possible and is tested to be less than 20 ppm of gluten. (And even then, eating it is contoversial.) So if an OTC med says 'starch (wheat)', I put it back on the shelf and hasten away.

But I don't know what microcrystalline cellulose is, what it comes from, and whether it can have pesky proteins lurking in it due to manufacturing processes.

Very grateful for input.
Actually, it's refined wood pulp and is simply glucose in a form that is more of a filler or carrier for things like pills. It really doesn't contain protein, so it shouldn't be a problem in your case.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yum, trees! Every time I take a med w/ m-c cellulose in it, I will feel like Grizzly Adams & think of you gratefully. Thanks!