911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

acute ear infection,taking third diffrerent course of anti biotics

Customer Question

suffering from acute ear infection,taking third diffrerent course of anti biotics in three wks including ear drops.nothing seems to work pain is getting worse and feel as if there is golf ball size swelling in my ear
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 4 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

very strange indeed.

911Doctor :

have you seen an otolaryngologist or had a CT scan of your brain to look for something called a CHOLESTEATOMA?

911Doctor :

I see you are offline....

911Doctor :

will switch to Q and A so you can answer at your leisure.

Expert:  911Doctor replied 4 years ago.
standing by.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is it normal after taking medication for nearly 4 wks that an ear infection can become increasingly worse
Expert:  911Doctor replied 4 years ago.

no, and that's why i mention getting a specialist involved at this point. there is likely a reason that you have this and that it is not responding to proper antibiotic therapy. your GP should, at this point, be considering referral to a specialist. Cholesteatoma, in the link provided above, could be one reason why this is not getting better, and while this is NOT cancer, it does require a specialist to remove it in the OR.

thank you for your question and your business and please let me know if you have further questions on this topic.