Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have sharp pain in my lower right lung and when I bend over

Customer Question

I have sharp pain in my lower right lung and when I bend over I feel a dull thud & a sloshing sound in that lung. Shortness of breath nd right side hurts. Started 12 hours ago? I am very concerned.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Any fever, cough, leg swelling?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no nothing, just nausea for the past 3 days and wooziness.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Tell me all you can about the pain.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it's a very acute type of pain when i breathe in deeply and a general soreness all on my right side just around my lung. All the muscles around my ribcage on the right side are sore. There is a definitive thud sound and something moving in my lung when i bend over. It's very odd. There is no pain if I breathe shallowly just tenderness.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Is any of the pain in your abdomen?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No none whatsoever, just the right lung.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. While I can't give you an exact diagnosis here, my thoughts are these--a pulmolnary embolus, walking pneumonia (where the patient doesn't have the classical signs like fever, cough, malase, etc.) or your gall bladder. For now suffice it to say that you need to see a doctor about this as soon as possible, because if it is a pulmonary embolus or pneumonia, those need to be diagnosed and treated, and a gall bladder attack can be severe enough to require surgery.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would a pulmonary embolus occur just suddenly? Would 'walking pneumonia' be sudden too? I was hospitalized last February for 5 days with pneumonia but I had a bad cough and fever and couldn't breathe. I was on oxygen. Could that be the sound in my lung? A large glob of mucus? I am scared. Thank you for the information. Also, I am in very good health, not overweight and vegetarian. A gall bladder issue seems odd.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Yes to the PE. Not likely for the pneumonia. Yes to the gall bladder as in hitting suddenly. The sound was why I mentioned pneumonia.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would there be other symptoms associated with the PE though? Cough? Blood? Is that diagnosed by X-ray?
thank you so much for your help!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
There can be a cough with PE but not always. It's diagnosed with blood work, a ct of the chest, and Doppler venous studies of the legs to see if there's a deep venous thrombosis in one of them which produced the clot that traveled to the lung.