Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Example: I went to a rock concert (Three Dog Night) I was looking

I have a good question for you. What is the medical term for someone who does not realize they are much older than they are? Example: I went to a rock concert (Three Dog Night) I was looking around the club and I said to myself {Damn look at all of these old people} I mentioned it to my friend and he started laughing he told me to go look in the mirror! He was right they were in their 50's and up so am I. I'm 56. What is the medical term for this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Interesting question. Are you referring to someone not thinking they look as old as they do?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't realize I'm so old. Other people my age or older experince the same thing at times. I guess we still think of ourselves as being in our late 20's early 30's. There has to be a medical term for this like a fear is a phobia.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK--I'll try to get to an answer, but first are you saying that it's difficult to come to grips with your actual age?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No not that it's just for some reason my mind set is I don't realize I'm that old. Example: John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival) just before a show he looked out from behind the stage and seen the audiance and said look at all of those old people..... they were the same age as he was. In other words we don't realize at certain times or moments that we are old. I hope this clarifies what I'm asking.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. And you'd like to know if there is a psychological term for this that implies something abnormal?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Exactly!!!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. Cognitive dissonance is probably the closest term here, although that implies anxiety or disbelief with an emotional overtone. The idea is that the mind holds two opposing ideas--in this case the realization of how old one is with the thought that, no that can't be true.