Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have mitral valve regurgitation, which causes infrequent

I have mitral valve regurgitation, which causes infrequent heart palpitations. I have been taking 10mg of Ritalin twice a day for ADD for about 6 years now.

Recently, the Ritalin has caused heart palpitations, when it first takes effect, but it was not doing this before last summer when a stressful event occurred in my life.

I have reduced the dosage from 10mg to 5mg and this seams to eliminate the heart palpitations.

Are these heart palpitations dangerous? Or should I go back to taking 10mg and ignore the palpitations?

My cardiologist recently gave me an ECG and it was fine.

Thank you, Anne
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--did you discuss the recent palpitations with your cardiologist?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, I just received a call back from him. He said, take the lowest dose of Ritalin that I can. But, that doesn't really answer my question.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--the rhythm problems you've had in the past--have they been captured on an EKG and found to be benign, as in occasional benign premature ventricular contractions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The palpitations were caused by MVR and captured on a heart monitor some 10 or 15 years ago. I don't recall the word benign being used but he said I do NOT have heart disease.

I forgot to mention that lost 15 lbs from this stress I had last summer. I went from 120 lbs to 105 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. How are you doing on the 5mg a day?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It seams to be working the same. Do you think the weight reduction has reduced the required dosage for the same effect?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
That's a possibility and so long as it's doing its job at the lower dose as the cardiologist suggested, I think that's where you should stay, or certainly not increase the dose without at least telling the cardiologist you plan to do so. Many skipped beats are benign and of no consequence. If you chose to increase the dose and the palpitations recurred, at least they should be captured on an EKG to make sure they are benign.