Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Im extremely stressed..seem to maintain an erection

Hello. Im extremely stressed out. I can not seem to maintain an erection while with my partner. I have had this issue in the past but ussually over came it. But for some reason it seems to be getting worse. In situations I am extremely turned on I can not seem to get an erection or I will get it and when it comes time to enter her I will loose it. Its very very frustrating when all you want to do is make love to your partner and its a huge challenge to accomplish this. I am only 27 and at my whits end. I have tried relaxing and focusing on her pleasure but my erection also seems to fail right when it is time to enter. When i get it going we have great sex but its rare and seems to be getting harder and harder to maintain. even in masturbation it seems to be more and more of a challenge to maintain an erection. Please help. Its really depressing me and im worried I may loose her if I cant please her.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--I understand your concern about this. Are there any times when you can have a full erection and go to completion with ejaculation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I did last night with her but it took a lot of work to get me aroused enough to perform. Once in her and in the act I kept it np as long as stimulation was constant. Its almost like I get extreme anxiety and think about it and worry so much it kills it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
I understand. I take it you haven't discussed this with a doctor? Are you concerned that this may be a physical and not just an emotional problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Possibly. No I have not disscussed this with my Doctor yet. See Im honestly not sure. I seem to get erections when Im sleeping so I know I can get them its just when it comes time to perform it just seems to fail. I have even tried generic forms of viagra before and while this may work for an hour or 2 after taking it sometimes 3 it fades and Im stuck with the same problem and at 27 I should not have to be taking that. even when masturbating I cant seem to maintain an erection.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. At your age, true physical ED isn't likely, but still a possibility. If you have your testosterone levels checked and they're normal, then this is perfomance anxiety, which is more common than you might think. It tends to become a vicious circle with it happening once and then the worry that it will happen again makes the cycle repeat itself over and over. Talking it over with an understanding partner can help, but if not, a well trained sexual therapist can help you get over the problem. If you can get a full erection from time to time, it is very unlikely that this is a physical problem as with low testosterone or other causes like diabetes, low thyroid, etc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would something like beta blockers help?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Beta blockers and SSRI antidepressants (used in this case for their side effects and not specifically for depression) can be helpful for premature ejaculation, but not for your problem. Of course, in a way, if this is anxiety related, potentially those could be tried.