Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hello, I am trying to wean myself off of Pristiq 50 mg and

Hello, I am trying to wean myself off of Pristiq 50 mg and am wondering how long the withdrawal symptoms will last. Also wondering if after being on it for 1 year, will I ever get back any hint of a sex drive once I am off it, or is this side effect a permanent one? Thanks!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--first, can I ask if you've had your hormones checked to see if that may be part of the problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I have never had them checked.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Was this not a problem before you were on the Pristiq and Wellbutrin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ever since my battle with depression began 12 yrs ago, I have had a decreased sex drive but was still able to actually enjoy the act once it was started. I have been on Wellbutrin for ~8yrs, and was prescribed Abilify ~2 yrs ago to combat worsening symptoms. I was told it "boosts" the Wellbutrin, unfortunately I began having Parkinson-like symptoms so had to stop. Actually had an increase in sex drive while on Abilify! Happy husband! Next "booster" prescribed was Cymbalta, which completely deadened any sensation from the chest down. Stayed on that about a year, until husband asked me to please try to find a different med w/o that side effect. Next came the Pristiq, which I have taken for about a year....same issue as the Cymbalta. Have tried to get my psychiatrist, my primary doc, and two different ob docs to take my issue seriously but have basically been told it's better than suffering from depression and I will probably be on antidepressants the rest of my life.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
So your plan is to come off the Pristiq in the hopes that that will resolve the problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was hoping that would help....mainly I am trying it because I don't know what else to do! I want to WANT to be intimate with my husband. Since 4 different doctors have all tried to brush it under the rug, I feel like my only option is to come off the Pristiq and if that doesn't help then ??????
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--but have you not talked with a gynecologist about the problem at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, actually I've spoken to two, both of whom basically said that my only option would be to take testosterone....which will then cause a whole other host of side effects. All 4 doctors have told me (in their opinion) it is from the AD's, but none have showed any interest in helping me with this problem. Maybe I should try acupuncture......haven't tried that yet.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. Of course, the antidepressants may be at fault, and if it is just the Pristiq, then there's every reason to believe that in time, once you're off it, the problem will resolve itself. One of the complications in your case is the depression itself which can also cause a problem with libido. That said, it could also be a hormonal problem, and I for one would try you on a short course of bioidentical hormone replacement just to see if that solved the problem. As for acupuncture, I think it is very effective in many areas, so it would be a safe option to explore.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much. And by any chance do you know how long these withdrawal symptoms will last?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
With a proper taper, hopefully no more than a month after you finish.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)