Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I had the FLU 17 Days ago and it turned into a EAR infection

I had the FLU 17 Days ago and it turned into a EAR infection that day. Its been 17 days. My ear is still plugged. I have taken Augmentin, Zythromax and now Omnicef aka Cefdinir. Also taking Patanase in the nasal spray. Nothing seems to be working. Still have PLUGGED ear and moderate intermittent pain in my ear. This is my 3rd round of Anti-Bioitcs 1st one did not work.. Doctor prescribed Zythromax but i found out i am allergic to it as it gave me Palpitations so Changed me over to Omnicef been on that now for 4 days. Ear is just as plugged as it was the 1st day and still some light pain. Can you please tell me how to fix this I can not have DECONGESTIANTS as i am allergic to them. I assume my ear drum is NOT ruptured as the doctor did not say it was but did say it was "THICK and RED" A couple questions.. How do I unplug my ear, if this is VIRAL i assume all the meds wont do a thing and how long can this last? When should i start to worry? I have read about Meningitius developing in cases where the ear infection has not been taken care of is this something i need to worry about?, Thanks in advance..
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--I take it you've had no x-ray or MRI studies of the sinuses and the head?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No this has not been done.. Doctor only looked in ear with scope. At time of 1st visit 17 days ago I had the FLU and EAR infection at the same time..
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. Except for saline nasal irrigations or the use of a Neti pot, there isn't anything else to be done for this, and antihistamines and decongestants, even if you could take them, might actually do more harm than good. I don't think this is any longer a bacterial or a viral condition, but the Eustachian tube is clogged, and unless the pressure can be equalized you may need a myringotomy--an incision in the ear drum and a tube insertion--to prevent a hearing loss problem. At this point, you need to be seen by an ear, nose, and throat specialist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can a Myringotomy be done without the use of any IV or Local Anistetic? I am allergic to MOST if not ALL Local and General Anisisia.. and how painful would that be?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
It can be done with conscious sedation. As to pain, I can't speak to it directly, never having had one, but most patients tolerate it without undue pain. That's assuming it needs to be done. The nasal irrigation may be all you need.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can't a ENT doctor enter the inner ear thru the nose and open up the tubes? without cutting the ear drum.. As for Conscious Sedation I cant have anything like that either.. I had a colonoskipy with NO sedation But boy was that the most painful thing i have ever felt in my whole life.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, the ear drum has to be approached through the ear canal. I know what you're saying about a nonsedated colonoscopy. Mask anesthesia could also be done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will I be able to hear Immediately after the proceedure?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
If it needs to be done, yes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a risk at this point in time of contracting Meninjitius?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, I don't think so because, as I told you before, I don't think there's any infection involved now.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice