DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

my left shoulder dislocates painfully during strains especially

my left shoulder dislocates painfully during strains especially in sports whene there is pressure pr strain against my arm. I've rested it over long periods of time but it gets dislocated again. Why don't the ligaments and the joints heal?
Since when you facing this problem?

Any investigation done?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The first time it happened was when I was doing fly presses using free weights in 1990 while laying on my back....bad mistake. I believe I tore my ligament that time. Since then my arm/shoulder has dislocated when I swing a golf club or throw a ball hard, when I dive incorrectly in the water or like the other day, doing a skydive simuation. Yes, doctors suspect that there was a tear or trauma to the area and wanted to try strength training first. So, I've spent various amount of time doing physical therapy but apparently it hasn't helped. They said surgery was an option but that I will probably lose some range of motion.
Thanks for all the information and using just answer.

First thing you need to do is get an MRI done.

This will tell the exact damage.

If there are recurrent dislocations then there is possibility damage or tear of internal joint structures like tendons , rotator cuff or joint labrum.

Try to avoid movement or exercise with result in dislocation because with each dislocation you are increasing the damage.

Consult an orthopedic surgeon an get MRI done.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there anything besides just resting it that I should be doing this weekend. The area is still really sore and inflamed.
Apply ice on the sore area and take tablet Ibuprofen for pain relief.

This will also help to reduce inflammation and swelling.