Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hi, almost 8 weeks ago I had a surgical flexor tendon repair

Hi, almost 8 weeks ago I had a surgical flexor tendon repair on my wrist. Everything felt okay till the last week. I started feeling pain in one tendon right under my scar and I don't know if everything is okay. Could it just be some minor adhesion breaking down or my tendon pulled apart again?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Exactly what injury was repaired and how? How's the movement of the wrist, hand, and fingers?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was a wrist laceration. I had my FDP,FCU,FCR tendons repaired, no nerves involved. My finger movement is very good but my wrist movement hurts just one tendon. I didn't feel that one tendon till last week. It burns and it feels sore when I stretch my wrist backwards.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
But no redness, lumps, or swelling of the area?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't think so. The scar might be just slightly red.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. I don't think this is anything serious. Certainly not a disruption of the tendon repair. At most you may have some tendonitis or a slight entrapment syndrome from some early scar tissue. That said, of course if you're still concerned, you should let your surgeon look at it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry to bother you again, but will I need surgery if it is tendonitis or it can just go away by itself?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Surgery isn't a real consideration here--you may need some physical therapy if it becomes more of a problem.