Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Im experiencing abdominal pain in my right side about half

Customer Question

I'm experiencing abdominal pain in my right side about half way up, AND on the left side literally on the side. There is also back pain. The pain comes and goes. I'm starting to notice pain in the right leg too. Cramping type feelings started last night. I have COPD (supposedly) and on disability for a vertigo problem. Just before Thanksgiving I recovered from what I would call the Flu. I have a cough now & am spitting up Mucas of a brown color. COPD flare up I figured? I also moved some furniture the other day. (Just before symptoms started) Could I have torn a stomach muscle that goes from the right side clear across to the left though? And would it effect the back.? The leg cramps starting up have me concerned now though. I've had pain in my sides before, but the leg cramps & back too?? A medical book I have sparked the possibility of Hepititis? But I dont see any signs of Jaundice yet? Maybe I wont get jaundiced? Do the symptoms point to it? Sound like anything your familiar with? Jim
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Tell me as much as you can about the nature and exact location of the abdominal pain please.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Left side "stitch" is 1/2 way up. Feel it in the stomach & back. Like someone is pinching my love handle. It occurs a lot less rarely. the right side pain is about 4" under the breast, (So 1/2 way up) almost center..in the area of the rib cage. Jim
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Any fever or nausea?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I should have stated.. Stool is good color, no blood. No vomiting or nausea. Jim
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
So where is the worst part of the pain?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Right side. 3" below breast, off center on right side.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Well, I can't put it all together into just one diagnosis that covers everything, but gall bladder, pancreatitis, and irritable bowel syndrome could be possible. Hepatitis is possible but not the most likely cause. You need blood work and an abdominal ct scan to cover these possibilities.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Although I havent had it in years, I would think it feels like a stomach flu? Its an all over intestinal discomfort. But there would have been vomit at some point. Correct? And can a stomach flu last 5 days now? Can back pain (I moved some furniture) cause tummy troubles? or, Can irritable bowels effect the back? I should say I have a large gut.I havent drunk in 20 years but look like I do. I'm 6" - 360lbs. And live a sedintary lifestyle. I've had an oblique strain before. Jim
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
I don't think the back pain is related unless there's a problem with a penetrating peptic ulcer. And yes, stomach flu can last this long. So long as you aren't seriously ill and the pain isn't excruciating, I don't think this is anything serious.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your time. One more thing..Thanksgiving night, got up 2 a.m. to pee. Had pain in stomach from 1 side to the other. Once I sat down (The belly pressed down)I let out a minute long Burp. It shocked me. Knowing that..Irritable bowel syndrome? How long can that last? over a week? Should I not have "passed" all that by now? How long can it actually last? thanks again, Jim
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
I don't think this is likely a sudden bout of IBS but I needed to mention it. Try some Pepto Bismol for now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, but is stomach flu viable without vomiting or diaria? Should'nt there be some "discharging" of some kind?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
In most cases, yes. That's why I had to mention gall bladder and pancreatitis.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will there be no other signs of Gall Bladder or pancreatitis problems? other then intestinal pain?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
For the gall bladder, a right upper quadrant crampy pain can be all there is. For pancreatitis, the pain is usuall throughout the upper abdomen and accompanied at least by nausea.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
o.k. Then the Gall Bladder.. Can it be also causing the pain on the other side? left?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
That's not likely. That's why I told you it would be difficult to take all your symptoms and attribute them all to just one diagnosis.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, not much accomplised here, but you've earned your fee. Let me ask you..IBS.. can it last 7-9 days? Do you not "pass" it? Or is there a swelling involved that needs time to go down? I thought of Milk of magnesia to get Diaria on purpose to help extrude it? Anything I can do for it? Pepto? Dont drink coffee? Any advice? P.S. Mornings, I seem to be o.k. Coffee seems to activate it? unless it was gonna kick in eventually anyway? is that any help?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
One other question--how have your bowel movements been?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Normal. Good color. Not S shaped though. Usually only once a day like clockwork, but been trying to go twice lately, to "pass" it. Not quite as tight and well compacted as usual. Diaria last night. But that due to eating Ice cream. Fine again today. maybe a little loose still.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK--and I'm happy to spend as much time as needed for you here. That said, since you said that we hadn't accomplished much here, please let me know exactly what more information you'd like me to provide.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I typed out a whole story you seem to have not gotten! Dang. Let me ask you this, I've had these pains before, if it was the Pancreas or Gall Bladder would'nt it INSIST on being pulled? Would it take a 2 month nap?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
No, I read everything you typed, it's just, as I said before, all I can do is take you symptoms and tell you the possible causes. Gall bladder can come and go. Pancreatitis is usually more severe in its presentation and can come and go.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
And neither can cause the other side of the body to hurt too?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Nothing is impossible, but gall bladder doesn't normally do that. Pancreatitis is generally a diffuse pain and not just to one side or the other.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm in a medical book looking at the digestive system..the Gall bladder is on the right side, the stomach on the left. Could some stomach ailment effect the Gall Bladder causing it to ache? And it seems the Pancreas is an inch or so from the Bladder, closer to the Center of the chest? (Sorry,2 different pictures)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
The pain of pancreatitis is usually in the upper and mid abdomen. Gall bladder problems are generally from stones.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've taken a lot of your time, let me ask you 1 more layman type question.. Whatever is causing it seems to appreciate that I lay down. I can even lay ON it. Would any of them appreciate it more? IBS? Would putting that pressure on the Pancreas or Gall Bladder make it have a fit & act up more? Any ideas why laying out prone seems to help?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
So you're saying that when you have it and you lay on your stomach it either helps or at least doesn't make it any worse?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. I can lay on it. When I get up in the morning theres no indication its there really. Once I have coffee, donut, Come awake..so does it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Well, both gall bladder and pancreas, if either of those is angry, wouldn't appreciate pressure on them, so that makes each of those less likely. IBS can really have absolutely no abdominal tenderness even to deep palpation by a doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, Its not very tender. O.K. Doc, like I said, I've taken enough of your time. Thanks. Merry Christmas my friend. Treasure those you love, cause life could turn on a dime. Remember, JESUS is the reason for the season. I'm gonna go discuss this with him again now. Take care. God bless you & yours. Jim
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, Jim. I tried my best. Let me know how it goes, and I know what you're saying. Too often when I ask patients or friends if they're ready for Christmas, their answer sounds like I asked them if they'd done their shopping.