Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse with mild

I have been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse with mild to moderate regurgitation. Is there anything that I can do to prevent the progression of the valve getting worse to the point where I would not need a valve replacement as I age? I am 51 going on 52 years old. My blood pressure is normal.
What symptoms would I experience that would mean that the valve is getting worse?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Do you have any more of the echocardiographic report I can read?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes done last year Oct. 28, 2010
Summary:
The left atrium is mildly dilated. There is normal left ventricular systolic function. Mild thickening of the aortic valve is present. Mild to moderate mitral insufficiency was detected. Mild tricuspid insufficiency was detected.

NSR 70 bmp; late systolic MVP-anterior leaflet-mild/moderate MR with posterior jet
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. And before we go on, has your cardiologist not discussed any of this with you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He has and I am having a follow up in January but the reason I am asking is because I have been have been light headed lately and feeling a little like I would want to faint. I have not done so but I was wondering if I should go back and see my cardiologist any sooner. Could being lightheaded like this be a result of my heart valve issues.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell me more about the light headedness? What's your blood pressure been running? Any chest pain or extremity swelling? Any shortness of breath?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no extremity swelling. My blood pressure is about 116/80 or thereabout. I can be doing normal activities when I feel light headed and it feels like I almost want to see black in front of my eyes or like I feel like blood rushes out of my head but I do not ever faint. I had an SVT arrhythmia about a year ago for the first time. I don't feel like I have
any heart palpitation when I get lightheaded. I usually do feel symptoms of that. I never had another SVT since then. I just feel like I want to faint but it passes very very quickly and I never do faint. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK--this doesn't sound cardiac. For your particular valve problem, congestive heart failure and pulmonary hypertension would be extreme end stage conditions, but that would not involve the symptoms you're referring to. The symptoms for those would be shortness of breath, fatigue, leg swelling and perhaps coughing and wheezing.