Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I went through withdraws but feel better as off yesterday

I did some very heavy drinking Thanksgiving weekend and for a week prior to. I have had no alcohol since Sunday 11-27-11. I went through withdraws but feel better as off yesterday. I have stopped drinking for good. However, my heart is missing sometimes every 3rd beat. I have had missed beats before but this is the most. I do exercise and swim an hour but have not for over 3 weeks. I am 58 and had good results on nuclear stress test 2 years ago. Is this the last sympton of the withdraws and would exercise help. I have been taking my Metoprol 100 mg's 2x per day and instructed by my physician. I have added B1 and B complex. I am eating and drinking plenty of fluids over the past 3 days.
Hi, except for the missed beats, any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No feeling really good now and the heart beat is good for me at about 64 bpm.
Well, up to six premature ventricular contractions--if that's what these are--are not necessarily serious concerns. That said, you really should get an EKG to evaluate these and to see exactly what they are. This could perhaps be from low potassium, but if you're eating well, that isn't likely. At this point, this isn't likely to be continuing from something like alcohol withdrawal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It might be down close to 6 beats per minute. However sometimes it happens with 2 times with in 10 beats. Normally after I am off the alcohol and exercise it goes back to normal. I just do not want to go to the hospital or doctor now. How critical is this. What is the longest period I should wait?

Well, unfortunately, I can't examine you or see an EKG. My gut feeling is that this isn't so critical that it has to be evaluated today, but you should at least notify your doctor as soon as possible and schedule a visit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Last response: I did have an acceptable ekg in July

Were there any skipped beats on it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
OK--more evidence that you don't have a significant heart problem. That said, at least notify your doctor about this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
FYI: I have sleep aphnea and cpap machine. I have not been able to sleep after the episode until this last night 12-3-11. According to online Mayo Clinic this can cause skipped beats. I agree with you above and appreciate your help.
Very true what you said.