Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My potassium is 4.6 on yesterdays blood work, I have not been

Customer Question

My potassium is 4.6 on yesterday's blood work, I have not been eating well
, and usually have low potassium levels. It was never 4.6 , I know the ranke is 3.5-5.3 I believe but can high potassium like 4.6 be safe , can it give me symptoms
.. Palpitations? Chest pain , muscle pain?? Or is it just fine??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Before we discuss this, do you have any of the other lab values in the report and are you taking any medications?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes , I have sodium mag etc.. Not WBC or rbc it think is was just ordered as a SMA 7 , to check my potassium because sometimes its low . I take no mess just synthyriod 112mcg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
What about the creatinine and BUN?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In normal range creatinine 0.64 it's says bun/ creatinine ratio is not reported when creatinine vales are within range , glucose 96
.. Sodium 140, urea nitrogen 12
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. The range varies a bit from lab to lab, but 3.5 to 5.0 is a typical "normal" range. In your case, I don't think you have to worry that the value you have is dangerous or will cause symptoms.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So 4.6 is almost at 5.0 that is my concern , I don't eat well no veggies etc . Just don't know how it got so high when I always stay in the 3.7 4.0 or low to 2.9 3.3, what should I do ? Would these labs concern you ??