Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have had persistent diarherra for about 8 days now. No other

I have had persistent diarherra for about 8 days now. No other symptoms, just as soon as I eat it goes straight through me and I am in the bathroom immediately. I just now started taking pepto-bismol. i am starting to notice slight pain in my lower right back. When should i start getting concerned?? 42 year old white male.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Hi--just a couple of questions. Up until now, no bowel problems before? Any relation to anything you ate? Is the movement completely watery?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no real bowel problems. some substance to stool, mainly watery.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
And about anything you ate before this started?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its been going on for about a week.......i cannot really tell you what i ate...............maybe thanksgiving dinner?? i know the diarhera started around that time, but i cannot pinpoint when............i have never felt sick or had any pain in the back until today
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. Diarrhea lasting this long should be evaluated, although it still might only be a bout of gastroenteritis or irritable bowel syndrome. The one thing that needs to be ruled out is that it isn't an infectious colitis as with E. coli or salmonella, and a stool culture can look for that. The BRAT diet--bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast--is often recommended in dealing with loose stools.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how long and how much pepto bismol should i be taking...........and is the pepto bismol a reasonal solution attempt.............also why would there start to be the pain in the lower back..........please also keep in mind that i dont really feel sick.........i just have this issue
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Tell me more about the back pain.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
felt slight pain in my lower right back after my last bowel movement...i still can feel it, it is more uncomfortable than it is painful
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Probably not a significant symptom and perhaps not related to the bowel problem at all. If the PeptoBismol were going to help with this it would have done so by now. No harm in continuing it, but, as I said, diarrhea lasting this long is not something that should be continued to just be watched in the hope it will stop.