Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

bathroom and have a very large bowel movement

After eating a meal (whether dining out for dinner or a quick hamburger) within 30 minutes I usually have to run to the bathroom and have a very large bowel movement. It is very runny and appears to be everything I ate. I cannot control it.
The kind of food seems to make no difference. I am not allergic to any food either.
I am a healthy 86.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--how long has this been going on and have you ever had a colonoscopy? Does this happen every time you eat?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This has been going on for about a year, but just once in a while. Now it seems that it happens about 80% of the time.
I had a colonoscopy. many years ago. I think it was before hemmoroid surgery about 15 years ago
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Is this just one movement a day, and is the consistency of the stool normal--well formed and of normal color?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, this is usually shortly after eating a meal. The movement is very, very runny and not well formed like a normal stool. The bowel movement seems to contain all the foods that I ate before that.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
And is there any cramping, nausea, or abdominal pain? Has your weight been stable?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no cramping, nausea or abdominal pain. It is just a sudden urge to get to the bathroom and then I know I will have to be in the bathroom in approx. 15 mins.
My weight has been stable at 140 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. First off, it's past time for you to have another colonoscopy since you could have developed polyps in that time. Then, this needs evaluation with that and a stool sample and perhaps even biopsies. This could be irritable bowel syndrome, a malabsorption condition like pancreatic insufficiency or celiac disorder, or a type of colitis. There is therapy for this depending on the diagnosis with diet changes and medication if necessary.