Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

age of drug on market v modern drugs for an 89 year old female with bi

please explain poor effect, age of drug on market v modern drugs for an 89 year old female with bi-polar history
she has not taken drug for 30 years but now we wish to consider some modern drug v simply alrozalam,, any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
First I'd need to know what if any symptoms she has now that suggest bipolar disorder.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
your asking for 45 years of scared,huffing breathing, talking about what is wrong, thus concentrate on her own deression is the subject for 40 years, until a gap from near 1990 to 2011 how she cant do things, trying to figure out for 45 years why she is depressed, i cant, crying, sleeplessness lately , up very very early all her life.

this is traumatic for me to even write , its been a large effect on my life too.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
I understand. So is the major problem the depression?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am not qualified to define it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Not asking for an exact diagnosis, just needed to know if she were exhibiting both a manic phase and a depressive phase as in classical bipolar disorder. Is it in the works for her to be evaluated by a psychiatrist?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i am searching for physician, but to respond:

no manic no high to lows, just slow moving & quitting , micromanaging problematic fears, ,
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Any problems with her cognitive abilities--memory, simple tasks, etc.?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
shes 90, she has commenced minor memory loss over past year 1/2 but no no alzheimers symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. Lithium and certain other medications are for the manic side of bipolar disorder, and it doesn't sound like that's her problem. I personally would start her on a low dose of Lexapro or Elavil at her age. Those medications would have the least chance of causing untoward side effects.