Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

partial tooth and I already have already have trouble..throat

I have swallowed a partial tooth and I already have already have trouble with taking pills getting stuck in my throat. I have already eaten peanut butter and bread and its still there.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Was this just a piece of tooth alone? What are your symptoms now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the piece was alone. Sometimes it feels like it is not there then I swallow and it has moved around to another place in my throat.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Did you feel it lodge as you first swallowed it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes - so when I got home I eat peanut butter and ate some dinner and did not feel it anymore - but about 10 min after dinner I felt it higher up in my throat then before and I can make it move around by clearing my throat are touching it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--if it's actually there, stuck in the throat itself, then it might have actually embedded a sharp point into the tissue. Otherwise, it should have passed on by now. It's also possible that it scraped the lining of the pharynx on its way down and what you're feeling is just irritation. All I can say is if it hasn't passed as yet, you should go to the emergency room and let them look for it and get it out since if it has a sharp edge and does start to move further down, it could potentially perforate your esophagus.