A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Hi, I had one of my molars extracted yesterday morning. Part

Customer Question

Hi, I had one of my molars extracted yesterday morning. Part of the filling and tooth broke off and it was very decayed for my dentist to save it. It was a very traumatic extraction. The tooth had to be broken down the middle and part of my gums were cut open for him to remove my molar w/o it breaking. I had several novocaine injections and was prescribed Tylenol with Codeine for pain. I was in pain last night and took 2 pills. No pain this morning but I noticed I have blood clots underneath my nails of both my "captain" toes. It's in the center of the nail. I definitely did not stub my toes at anytime. I'm a little concerned. Should I be?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. I've never heard of a Captain's toe. It that a different name for the great toe? I will put that in my lexicon.

As for blood clots or bruises under toenails, that should not be a result of the tooth extraction or of the medication for pain. Neither the Tylenol and codeine nor the novocaine have any effect on blood clotting. You may have hit your toes without realizing it while under the influence of the pain medication. Easy bruising can be a result of regular use of aspirin or other medication that affects blood clotting, or it can come from low platelets. It is definitely something you should mention to your medical provider but isn't really anything to be greatly concerned about.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I was referring to my great toes.. ..

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

I know for a fact I did not stub my toes. I was laying down or in bed after my visit to the dentist.

I'm just concerned because I am not someone who bruises easily and to see BOTH my toes with clots is very bizarre.

I always hear of deep vein thrombosis and how dangerous clots in the leg are. Are there any symptons I should be worried about?

Thank you!

Symptoms of DVT are pain, hotness, redness, and swelling. The most common place is the leg between the knee and ankle. The toes really don't have deep veins.