Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

my chest really my heart I think they are called heart palpations

Customer Question

Hello I have a big problem I'm getting this feeling in my chest really my heart I think they are called heart palpations and I'm scared out of my mind I don't know what to do I just really need somebodys help please help me!.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Singh :

Customer:

Hello

Dr. Singh :

Palpitations, or the feeling of your heart beating/fluttering in your heart quickly needs to be worked up by a doctor. Causes of this can vary from a cardiac problem, anxiety, thyroid issue, pain, infection, alcohol, drugs etc. However the very first thing you will need is an EKG. After this you may need blood tests or Holter monitoring for further work up. So please go to your doctor/ER as soon as you can.

Customer:

I have a cardiologist appointment Tuesday does that help a little bit?

Dr. Singh :

Yes you should definitely go and see the cardiologist

Dr. Singh :

They will be able to do an EKG and work you up for the palpitations

Customer:

Is there a treatment for those things? and are they life threatening?

Dr. Singh :

There is treatment for them, treatment depends on what the underlying cause is.

Customer:

What exactly causes them?

Dr. Singh :

The things mentioned above: heart arrhythmias, anxiety, thyroid disease, pain, infection, alcohol, drugs, etc

Customer:

Well I did smoke some Marijuana about 2 or 3 weeks ago and went to the hospital from it.

Dr. Singh :

You still need to be worked up. So please keep your cardiology appointment.

Customer:

Ok I'll do that but is there anything I should be worried about until then?

Dr. Singh :

If you start getting short of breath or dizzy, then you need to be seen sooner.

Customer:

I'm going in on Tuesday what diseases are associated with these symptoms? and it seems like it only does it at nightime.

Dr. Singh :

If you are getting short of breath or dizzy with the heart palpitations that means your heart is beating too fast and your body is not getting enough oxygen and that is why you need to be seen sooner. Any of the diseases mentioned already can cause this to occur for they can cause your heart to beat fast.

Customer:

Ok thank you for your time.

Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.