Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Is there a treatment for burning mouth syndrome?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Topical capsaicin cream, alpha lipoic acid, and extra B vitamins may help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can capasaicin cream be used in the mouth? It doesn't seem like something that would be. Also, do you need a prescription for the cream and the alpha lipoic acid? It seems like lipoic acid use needs to be monitored. Lastly, do these treatments treat the symptoms or get at the root of the problem? Are there herbs that would also be helpful?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Hi--tell me about your problem and how it was determined it was truly burning mouth syndrome.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's my friend's problem. I'm just helping her do research. She went to her MD who gave her this diagnosis. She can hardly talk because it hurts so much. She compared it to feeling like she has cuts all over tongue, only there's nothing there to see...no redness, ulcers, cuts etc. Like I mentioned before, she was given a script for a low dose anti-depressant that is supposed to have some affect on the nerves. She'd rather not take this type of med. if there's something else, since she was told this syndrome could last weeks, months, years...indefinitely.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
So there was no testing or any other studies since burning mouth sydrome is only made when other possibilities are checked for and ruled out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no tests done at all by md. Dentist did x-ray. He saw no problem.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. She needs to be checked for vitamin B 12 deficiency, anemia, autoimmune disorders like Sjogren's syndrome to make sure this is only burning mouth syndrome. Capsaicin can be made into a mouth rinse and that's over the counter. And alpha lipoic acid is an over the counter supplement but it may affect blood sugar levels and should only be used with her doctor's consent.