Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

prescribed Levaquin for a lung infection..intestinal..tendons..knee

In March of this year I was prescribed Levaquin for a lung infection. Within a couple of days I had severe intestinal issues and burning in my achilles tendons and difficulty walking due to the pain in my achilles and behind my knee. I immediately stopped taking the drug and my doctor prescribed something else. I continue to have tendon issues to this day. I now have a cramping pain in my abdomen that my doctor thinks could be an intestinal infection. He has prescribed Ciprofloxacin and told me not to worry because it is not as strong as Levaquin. I am concerned about taking this since it is in the same family as Levaquin and everything I have read says don't take either one. Am I just being paranoid or is this a valid concern?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
No, you have a valid concern, and I don't understand why your doctor prescribed another floxin in the same family. How strong one is over the other has nothing to do with the side effects sometimes seen.