Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hello, I was a normal girl but raised in a religious family

Hello, I was a normal girl but raised in a religious family where church was the center, even if I was sick my mom took me to church, in church we learned about jesus and the devil. I went to a religious university where I had a very mentally abusive relationship with an overly religious, bi-polar guy. I trusted this guy with all my heart and loved him deeply. I thought we were going to get married and have children, but he put fear into my mind and I had to leave him. After I left him, I started to have paranoia that he was going to get me. My parents assured me he wasn't. Later on, I started dabbling into religion and found out through the internet about the Christian beliefs of the NWO and how there was going to be a one world government run by Satan and people would try to commit genocide, that scared me and I guess because my mind was so vunerable I believed it. I got worse mentally, I started locking myself in the closet, and having delusions that the devil was coming to get me. I started believing that two famous people were my brother and sister. I thought I was pregnant and getting married. I started thinking my father was the devil after he saw me naked one time and it made me uncomfortable. One day my dad introduced me to a very nice looking and kind insurance agent who I thought was "Jesus" and that I was "Mary Magdalene", and I kissed him on the cheek (I would never do this), this scared him and he went into the bathroom and when my dad tried to stop me I started screaming to him and saying things like "Leave me alone Satan! You must bow down to Jesus" I also began singing. Next thing I know i'm in a hospital put on tons of medications, then released after 13 days. I am currently seeing a psychiatrist and he has me on Latuda even though I am better now. He said that I had a mental breakdown and he is treating me for schizophrenia. I want to know if you agree with this diagnosis, and what caused my delusions? :( I'm currently experiencing guilt for my behavior with the insurance guy, I think I messed up an opportunity to meet a nice gentlemen :(
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--these sound like the kind of paranoid delusions often seen in schizophrenia, so I think the diagnosis is correct. As far as what causes schizophrenia, there are several theories by experts but no one conclusive one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh okay, I also forgot to mention that I was sexually abused in my childhood which brought on anxiety during my youth. Not sure if that could have triggered off the symptoms of schizophrenia as well as going through religious trauma as well. My doctor plans to get me off the medicines completely after a few months. So then it makes me wonder can people have an event in their life that causes schizophrenia, but not be classified as schizophrenic? Since he doesn't think I need medicine for the rest of my life.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What medicines are you on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm only on Latuda.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--do you know the exact diagnosis your psychiatrist had for your condition?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not really, he did say I had a mental breakdown. The first medicine I was on was Zyprexa but I put too much weight on so he put me on Latuda. He never told me what my diagnosis was.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Then where did you come up with the term schizophrenia?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Because I looked up the medication I was taking it said it was for symptoms of schizophrenia. Although, I never heard the doctor diagnose me with it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I see. So why did the doctor say he was putting you on the medication in the first place, and why did he say he planned to take you off it later?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well he said that I was experiencing a severe mental breakdown causing delusions and paranoia. I don't have an answer as to why he plans to take me off of it, but i'm guessing he doesn't think the illness I went through is long term, which is good news Smile
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, in general, schizophrenia is a long term illness that often requires medication for all that time. The fact that he plans to take you off the medication implies that he doesn't think you have classic schizophrenia. It is possible that what happened to you was just a one time thing and will never happen again. That said, I think that you do need to have regular sessions with the psychiatrist even after he discontinues the medication just to be sure you're back on track.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is what I plan to do. If you could give a diagnosis, what would you think it be, if it isn't
"classic schizophrenia"
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
More like a paranoid psychosis--seeing things that are threatening but aren't really there. You didn't really exhibit all the symptoms of standard schizophrenia.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see. That seems about right SmileI guess paranoid psychosis can be caused by alot of things, i'm guessing maybe due to all the trauma I went through? I'm learning that there is a cause and effect to everything. People just don't have mental illness for no reason there is a cause for it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, often there is the past and perhaps a very traumatic environmental situation, but some people had a psychotic break or a schizophrenic episode without any undue stress or history. There is research that indicates differences in brain activity and "wiring" if you will, in schizophrenics, so, eventually I think it will be shown that there are actual physical causes for the disorders.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
physical, as in actual disease causes?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, physical as in a bit of different wiring in the brain and a redistribution of neurotransmitters--more just a difference rather than a disease like say diabetes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh okay, well when I saw on Oprah a child with schizophrenia, I felt so sorry for her, and I know that had to be something wrong with her brain. So your saying that something triggers off in the brain that gives them the mental disorder?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, the brain is already primed for the abnormal activity. Schizophrenia usually doesn't begin to show itself until the teenage years, but there doesn't have to be a traumatic event that sets it off. Quite often the diagnosis isn't suspected for quite some time because the person doesn't tell others about the abnormal thoughts and perhaps the hallucinations they're having and can function apparently normally in front of others for a long time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do you mean the brain is already primed for the abnormal activity?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The brains of schizophrenics have been studied with special MRI's that show that some areas are more active than in normal people. What I'm saying is that it's likely that schizophrenics actually have a bit of a difference the the anatomy of their brains--a different color of paint on the wall you might say. This difference can later cause the symptoms of schizophrenia. It may only take a traumatic or very stressful event to set off the disorder, so that's what I meant by the brain being primed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh okay I get what you mean. I remember my psychiatrist telling me that I was not crazy. This made me wonder what do psychiatrists, such as yourself, consider "crazy?" I know schizophrenics are apparently seen as "crazy." I know my behavior with the insurance guy might have had him think I was "crazy."
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, crazy really isn't a psychiatric term but it can be used in talking to patients just to let them know the problem isn't too serious. There are specific guidelines in the DSM IV for diagnosing problems like schizophrenia, but it still comes down to an individual psychiatrist's own interpretation of those guidelines and the evaluation of a particular patient as to what exact diagnosis is made--it simply isn't an exact science.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay but do you think there are "crazy" people in society?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What is your definition of crazy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Um I don't know I guess well when people kill or harm people. But now that I am learning more and more about cause and effect, there has to be a reason why they did it, even though I think the act is "crazy."
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, I'm sure you know that many people have tried to use the psychiatric defense that they were "crazy" when they did something like murder, but the defense has to show they didn't know the difference between right and wrong. You can be schizophrenic or psychotic and still know the difference.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmm I see....so your saying everyone knows what is right and wrong. So what is your definition of crazy?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I don't have one, because, as I said, that isn't a medical term.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see. So people who kill others like say Adolph Hitler, what is exactly wrong with them? They can't be classified as "crazy" because that isn't a medical term.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, we're getting a bit off the track from your original question here, but now you're delving into ethics and philosophy because murder is a term that is used by societies to indicate a criminal offense. Thou shalt not kill is only a rule that was set down in ancient times, but not all societies consider murder a crime.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see. Well thank you so much for answering my questions :)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Welcome
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice