Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I just an IPP installed with surgery on October 17th. Scrotum:

I just an IPP installed with surgery on October 17th. Scrotum: The stitches on each side broke apart, resulting in a light infection. The infection was treated with a 5 day hospital stay and strong antibiotics. Now I am having trouble with wound closure. I think I need to have the wound stitched up again, however my doctor wants to take a more dramatic approach and remove device and replace with rods. I have no signs of infection, and would like to know the best approach to take to facilitate the closure of this wound. Thank you!
Hi--tell me about the condition of the wound now please
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the wound is no longer weeping. Left side has closed completely. No Edema. The right side is about a 1/4 inch deep, has lots of pink skin. No signs of infection, no puss, only watery fluid. I think its just related to the testicles. I so want this to close up. No blood either. Just is piercing hole that will let an infection set in if not sealed up.
I will take a 30 minute Hibaclenz shower, being careful not to introduce any water into the wound. I then use Hydrogen Pyroxide to gently debride the external part of the wound, and then rinse with Sterile Saline Solution. I then cover with Silver Chloride gel, and then dress the wound.

I was doing this 4 times a day, but now do so every 24 hours. No improvement. I am currently taking Levaquin and a Sulpha based antibiotic.

When I was in the hospital, the attending physician thought it would be best to stitch up and follow up a week later. My surgeon opted to stuff gauze into the hole and follow up, with "we have to go back in and remove the device". I have had this operation 15 times, due to various mechanical reasons. Only 3 infections, and this is not an infection, but unless treated, I am afraid it will be my last try at this. Currently I am scared to go back to this doctor for fear of him not taking care of this in a customary manner.
OK. Where exactly is the wound and how much is open?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Scrotum. Wound Is open a half inch. And about a quarter inch deep
Is it closing at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No
And why does the doctor want to do such an extensive reoperation?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good insurance. I want this wound to close up. Next week he said I would go under the blade again for a more radical approach unless this wound healed up. I don't think he had the expertise to know how this works. I trusted his surgery, but his post followup is lacking,

OK. The closure of the wound is a possible option, but only if there is no infection and the wound, of course, stays closed because there's healthy tissue at the edges. I would get a second opinion from another surgeon before agreeing to the radical approach.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will continue the antibiotics. There is no infection. No Puss, no smell, no pain or fever. The last hour I applied Steri-strips and used a Tagaderm over a very clean and sterile environment, using Hibacleans. In your opinion, how often should I do this, is there anything else I can do to facilitate this process, and is there anything I should be taking besides antibiotics?
Vitamin E supplements might help close the wound, and if the edges are healthy and not infected, what you're doing is the same as when sutures are used.