Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I just an IPP installed with surgery on October 17th. Scrotum:

I just an IPP installed with surgery on October 17th. Scrotum: The stitches on each side broke apart, resulting in a light infection. The infection was treated with a 5 day hospital stay and strong antibiotics. Now I am having trouble with wound closure. I think I need to have the wound stitched up again, however my doctor wants to take a more dramatic approach and remove device and replace with rods. I have no signs of infection, and would like to know the best approach to take to facilitate the closure of this wound. Thank you!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--tell me about the condition of the wound now please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the wound is no longer weeping. Left side has closed completely. No Edema. The right side is about a 1/4 inch deep, has lots of pink skin. No signs of infection, no puss, only watery fluid. I think its just related to the testicles. I so want this to close up. No blood either. Just is piercing hole that will let an infection set in if not sealed up.
I will take a 30 minute Hibaclenz shower, being careful not to introduce any water into the wound. I then use Hydrogen Pyroxide to gently debride the external part of the wound, and then rinse with Sterile Saline Solution. I then cover with Silver Chloride gel, and then dress the wound.

I was doing this 4 times a day, but now do so every 24 hours. No improvement. I am currently taking Levaquin and a Sulpha based antibiotic.

When I was in the hospital, the attending physician thought it would be best to stitch up and follow up a week later. My surgeon opted to stuff gauze into the hole and follow up, with "we have to go back in and remove the device". I have had this operation 15 times, due to various mechanical reasons. Only 3 infections, and this is not an infection, but unless treated, I am afraid it will be my last try at this. Currently I am scared to go back to this doctor for fear of him not taking care of this in a customary manner.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Where exactly is the wound and how much is open?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Scrotum. Wound Is open a half inch. And about a quarter inch deep
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Is it closing at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And why does the doctor want to do such an extensive reoperation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good insurance. I want this wound to close up. Next week he said I would go under the blade again for a more radical approach unless this wound healed up. I don't think he had the expertise to know how this works. I trusted his surgery, but his post followup is lacking,

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. The closure of the wound is a possible option, but only if there is no infection and the wound, of course, stays closed because there's healthy tissue at the edges. I would get a second opinion from another surgeon before agreeing to the radical approach.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will continue the antibiotics. There is no infection. No Puss, no smell, no pain or fever. The last hour I applied Steri-strips and used a Tagaderm over a very clean and sterile environment, using Hibacleans. In your opinion, how often should I do this, is there anything else I can do to facilitate this process, and is there anything I should be taking besides antibiotics?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Vitamin E supplements might help close the wound, and if the edges are healthy and not infected, what you're doing is the same as when sutures are used.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice