Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I had my ovaries removed almost 2 years ago and ever since

I had my ovaries removed almost 2 years ago and ever since I have gotten a staph infection every couple of months. Did it have anything to do with the operation? I've been told yes by a few people.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 5 years ago.
Hi, welcome to justanswer , being hospitalized when you have a surgical procedure like an oophorectomy ( ovaries removal ) exposes the patient to certain microorganisms , including the Staphylococcus Aureus bacteria.
So yes, in certain way , being in the hospital could have exposed you , at the beginning to the staphylococcus bacteria . However , after that initial infection episode , if you continue getting Staphylococcus infections, other factors are probably involved .
So my best advice for you will be to consult a doctor to determine if you have a nutritional deficiency , a weakened immune system , chronic diseases ( like kidney failure , liver inflammation , bronchitis or heart disease) or diabetes which are conditions that make you prone to getting recurrent infections. In that case , treating the underlying disorder will be a vital part of your treatment.
There are things you could do to reduce the risk of reinfection including washing your hands frequently with soap and water , if you have any wounds cover them with sterile bandaids or bandages and do not share your personal items including towel ,razors , bed covers or other personal things including your clothes . It is really important that you take the antibiotics exactly as your doctor recommends it , do not stop taking your antibiotics only because you begin to feel better . When you do not follow your doctor's instructions , bacteria could become resistant to the antibiotics increasing the risk of developing a serious infectious process.
Please click accept if you like the answer, so I can get credit for my work. A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated. I do not get credit for my work until you click the green accept button.
If you have any additional questions or doubts, just ask me so I can help you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would this be a malpractice suit? I have several people telling me yes. But I love my ob/gyn.

Not ,this does not qualify for a malpractice lawsuit . At the same time, if you have being getting recurrent infections , like I told you before , other medical conditions are probably involved like having a weakened immune system and not the surgical procedure you had which was performed 2 years ago .
Other thing that I noticed by your previous doctor question ,is that you are taking corticosteroids for the back pain which could increase the risk of getting infections . So this is other possibility that your doctor will need to investigate, in which case your doctor could need to do some changes in your current treatment plan .
Please click accept if you like the answer, so I can get credit for my work. A bonus will always be sincerely XXXXX XXXXX do not get credit for my work until you click the green accept button.