Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have a son who is an alcoholic and I have been searching

Customer Question

I have a son who is an alcoholic and I have been searching for something that will help him because the detox method has not been successful. In my search I found a method called The Last Chance Program. I would like to know if you have any information which will help me decide if he should give this a try. The meds or diet supplements (which they are called) cost $800. That is too much to pay without a little more information regarding their research and results.
Category: Health
Expert:  DCrane_Esq replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Did you intend to direct this question to an attorney?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, I thought I was sending this to a health expert. Someone in your help section has resubmitted me question to a health expert so please disregard this question.

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Hi--sorry for the delay and your having to be switched around. I think I can help here, but I need to have the website for the program to which you're referring please.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Using the search, enter alocohlics anonymous which will bring up a selection. Choose drinkless.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
http://www.lastchancerc.org/ is this what you're referring to?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
http://www.drinklessnow.com/dln/index3.php
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. Tell me all you can about his drinking problem
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He is 49 yrs old and has been drinking since he was a teenager (14/15). He will drink 24/7 until he needs to go to the hospital emergency because he is dehydrated and has the shakes. He has reached the point where he will acknowled that he has a problem and he will stop drinking for a short period after the hospital visit but he cannot quit for any length of time. He has the gout and problems with his joints in his feet, ankles, knees and hands when the gout flares up. He is depressed and has become very inactive. He also has a problem with anger when he is drinking. Wine seems to bring out the anger more than any other type of alcoholic beverage. He has been in detox and will sometimes go to an AA meeting after his trip to the ER. He cannot control his craving and I am searching for something to help him since detox does not work for him. The Last Chance Program sounds like something that would work but I cannot find enough info to make me want to invest $800.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. You realize, I hope, that just getting someone off alcohol physically is only the first step in recovery? Why hasn't he made AA a more consistent program?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You are not telling me anything that I do not already know about getting someone off alcohol. He has not made AA a more consistent program because the need for the alcohol is constant and he can only hold out so long. I am not making excuses for him and I have talked to men at AA and they tell me I will never understand why he continues to drink and how strong the desire can be. But I need to get back to the original question. Can you tell me anything about the diet supplements and how effective they are and where I might get additional info regarding their success rate?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
I've researched the product, and while it might be worth his trying the problem with obtaining success rates for any treatment product or program for alcoholism is that it's very difficult to scientifically study the exact percentage of successful outcomes since subjects are lost to follow up. I would strongly suggest that you use the money you would spend on this to much better use in getting him professional help with either an outpatient or inpatient treatment program. The major problem is that first the patient has to admit to himself that he has a problem that he cannot solve on his own and then he has to come to a point in his life where the consequences of his drinking are so vast that he's ready to let go and do whatever it takes to get and to stay sober.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Chip, I am sorry I do not accept this answer because I do not feel that you have told me anything that I did not already know. As it should be obvious considering the age of my son and the length of time he has been drinking I have read extensively and talked to everyone I can in an effort to help him stay sober. Yes, I know that I cannot do it for him and he has to want this enough to fight for it but I am still looking for ways to help him if possible. He does want to quit drinking but his ability to fight the craving is just not as strong as it needs to be. Based on the stats regarding the success rate of AA he is not the only who is unsuccessful with their method of solving this problem and I am not the only person who is trying to find a way to help a loved one conquer their problem. If you checked The Last Chance Program site and read the info on Charlotte Biz regarding this program you would have noticed that their theory is for the diet supplement to change the brain cells, which is being done with some medications for other problems, and remove the craving for alcohol from the brain. Thank you for trying to help.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Actually, I do have a better program in the area you're lookin for. www.floridadetox.com This is more than just supplements for changing the brain chemistry