Charogat
Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

Tennis Elbow

Customer Question

TennisElbow. My husband is a floor layer and sometime in the last 3 months his left arm has been nagging at him. It it below the elbow but on the top of the arm. Today he went and bought a tennis elbow strap and he says it makes it feel much better. Do you think he seriously injured himself? How long does this take to heal?  ?It hurts mostly if he is carrying a heavy bucket with his arm bent.  If he carries the same thing with his arm straight it doesnt hardly even hurt.  Mostly when elbow is bent
Category: Health
Expert:  Charogat replied 5 years ago.

Charogat :

Hi#

Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Charogat :

Tennis elbow is really just a form of tendinitis.

Charogat :

From what you are describing it does not sound like there is something worse than that.

Customer:

hello

Charogat :

The treatment is to take anti-inflammatory medication (such as ibuprofen if he doesn't have any medical reasons that he can't take it), warm compresses, and most importantly, rest of the area.

Customer:

he says it feels like a deep bruise. Is that what this would feel like

Charogat :

Sometimes that is what it might feel like.

Customer:

today he is wearing that brace/strap and he says it feel alot better

Customer:

is the strap just for comfort? it doesnt help heal it does it

Customer:

how long on avg does it take to heal. he primarily is right handed and everything i have read says it is usually your dominant hand. Now when he lifts these 50 pound buckets he lifts one in each hand. i told him to stop using the left one for awhile

Customer:

helloooooooooooooooooooo

Charogat :

The strap doesn't help heal it

Charogat :

(sorry my computer froze)

Charogat :

What it does is keep it in a better position so that it can allow the inflammation to go down.

Charogat :

It can take days to weeks for it to heal :( The more rest he gives it the quicker it will heal.

Charogat :

The strap will force him to rest it somewhat so that will allow it to heal somewhat more quickly.

Customer:

so it isnt anything i should stress about

Customer:

why would he feel such instant relief with the strap

Charogat :

It isn't anything to stress about

Charogat :

The immediate relief he feels is just because it is putting pressure on something that is somewhat swollen, thereby giving more room to the tissue around it most likely. I am not 100% sure about this, but I do know the strap can help as soon as you put it on.