Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

I suffer from migraines, typically the couple of weeks surrounding

I suffer from migraines, typically the couple of weeks surrounding my period. For this I ahve been prescribed 100mg of Imitrex, 1000mg of Naproxen, and a flexeril if I am having trouble sleeping. But I also get regular headaches frequently; probably about 2-3 times a week. This has been normal for me since I was about 7 or 8 and I am now 24. Tylenol and Ibuprofen don't seem to touch my regular headaches. I started taking Excedrin. However, I typically need to take about 3 to get rid of a headache. I am worried about the effects of taking so much medication on a regular basis. I already have kidney stones in both my kidneys (which I know probably has nothing to do with the medication). I don't really know what else to do because if I take nothing my headaches can progress into a migraine in a few hours. What can I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Do you have auras with your migraines?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I occasionally get aura before a migraine, but probably only in 1 of every 10 migraines.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Do you use any birth control?
Have you been evaluated by a physician yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I saw a neurologist when I was young. I had several MRIs which showed nothing. I have been taking that medication regimen for a number of years. My doctors have been aware of it.
I currently take birth control because I also have polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Which birth control are you using, and do you take the placebo pills such that you have a period?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I take Gianvi (3mg/0.02mg) It has 4 placebo pills but I stop taking pills for a week at a time to have my period otherwise I end up with breakthrough spotting the rest of the month.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
What I would recommend doing is take the active pills continuously so that you do NOT have a period and you will need a prescription to a triptan medication such as Imitrex to control further migraines.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, THANK YOU