Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.

How long does Mucinex D stay in your system?

I have a cold. I have taken Mucinex 1200 mg Guaifensin extended-release bi-layer tablets. How long will it take to get out of my system. I took the last dose yesterday at 4 pm. My doctor gave me amoxicillon 875 mg tab to take. I don't want to mix the two. She told me to wait a day and if I still feel bad then take the amoxicillin. What do you think?

Category: Health
Expert:  Charogat replied 4 years ago.

Hi, and thank you for coming to with your question.
If anything there will be just a minimal amount of the other medications left in your system. I don't think the concern was with mixing the two, rather it was just giving your body one more day to try to get better on its own.
It also would be a good idea to take a probiotic with it. (Not necessary, but sometimes helpful to prevent antibiotic related diarrhea.)
God Bless
If you have any follow-up questions for me please feel free to ask them.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, how long do you think that the Mucinex will take to get all the way out of my system?

Expert:  Charogat replied 4 years ago.

The half life of Mucinex is 2.88 hours. That means after 2.88 hours half of it is gone. After another 2.88 hours, half of the remaining amount is there, after another 2.88 hours there is half of that left etc. So the amount you took would make a difference in when it was all gone.
God Bless