Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am having daily stomach aches and have had diareha for a

I am having daily stomach aches and have had diareha for a long time. Could these be related? The pain in my stomach moves around and us generally low or high and right. My stomach also makes lots of noise. I don't have much money and have two children to care for what should I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.
Greetings.

Since when are your symptoms?
How many motions do you pass in a day?
Are the motions watery or semi solid?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The motions have been here about a year. They happen usually once or twice each morning and they are watery with solid particles sometimes
the water looks oily and sometimes it looks like colits.

Symptoms going on for so long should be investigated. A stool examination, colonoscopy and CT scan of abdomen are advised. Following are the possibilites;

1) Irritable bowel syndrome
2) Crohn's disease
3) Worms.

The initial evaluation of diarrhea is on these characteristic;

a) stool volume,

b) frequency,

c) consistency, and

d) gross appearance.

This description to use the term "diarrhea" to describe urgency and the frequent passage of small-volume stools suggests a functional disorder such as IBS.

Stool volume can give an idea of disease location and underlying mechanism.

a) Large-volume stools (more than one liter per day) would point to small bowel disease and secretory diarrhea.

b) Small-volume stools (less than 300 ml per day) suggest large intestine diseases and functional gastrointestinal disorders like IBS.

Stool consistency can be varied ranging from formed to watery, and correlates with the rate of intestinal transit.

a) Secretory diarrheas are liquid.

b) Functional diarrheas are soft or semi-solid.

c) Stool floating will be indicative of if being filled with gas from fermentation of mal absorbed carbohydrates.

d) Mucus can point to both inflammatory and noninflammatory diarrheas, such as ulcerative colitis and IBS.

Stool appearance helps to classify diarrhea as;

a) Watery diarrhea is caused by carbohydrate malabsorption, medications, bile acid malabsorption, Crohn's disease, microscopic colitis, chronic mesenteric ischemia, post surgical diarrhea, hyperthyroidism, colonic adenomas and carcinomas, alcohol induced diarrhea, laxative abuse, and hormone-secreting tumors.

b) Steatorrhea or fatty diarrhea is greasy, oily, foul smelling, bulky, or voluminous stools that are often difficult to flush, might contain undigested food particles, and sometimes leaves an oily stain in the toilet bowl. These characteristics suggest pancreatic disease, short bowel syndrome, celiac disease, giardiasis, and small bowel bacterial overgrowth (SBBO).

c) Bloody diarrhea suggests Ulcerative colitis, Crohn's colitis, cancer and chronic infections.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is the pancries located ?
Pancreas is located in almost mid upper abdomen.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can it swell and or be felt from outside the body?

It is very rare to be felt from outside the body.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am a small person 115lbs and can feel a lump on the right near the place where
The rib cage forks...
This can be epigastric hernia. A gall bladder stone may also occasionally present like it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think these things can be related? Do you know of a place that gives quality care at a low cost I don't have any insurance. I feel my problems are caused by the spice I use to smoke.
:(
Yes, all of these can be related.

You can visit one of the centers run by the Health Resources and Services Administration, they offer affordable quality healthcare to people without insurance.

You can find a health center near you by clicking here :

http://www.hrsa.gov

http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinics.taf

http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/Search_HCC_byAddr.aspx

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I wanted to say thank you from the deepest parts of my heart you have been a huge help and I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to answer my questions!!!! Is it safe to assume that these problems wont go away on their own? Is there a diet that can help?
Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX to you!!
Unfortunately, there is high likelihood that these symptoms would not resolve spontaneously. Dietary measures are unlikely to help.

Thanks for your kind words.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think the spice caused these problems?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I need to click accept answer for all answers? ?
No, you do not have to click the accept to all answers.

Spice may have been contributory and is not likely to be the primary cause.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Dr. I am having growing uneasiness with my symptoms. they tested store for parasites the cbc blood work came back fine. I honestly don't know if my pain is from my kidney or my gallbladder or both and my ovaries hurt even when I sit to rough. Discharge is abnormal sometimes pink times white or clear and sometimes there's a lot. this is not normal for me. I have not had unprotected sex in 5 years my youngest is 3. my throat is red and splotchy but really doesn't hurt my right arm keeps going numb off and on my breasts are extremely tender in places. I also have a bit of a rash that is very small body blisters that itch and sting when you scratch them they take forever to go away they are very sparsely located main location is around the gallbladder area. there is also a light discoloration in that area that resembles a bruise. what is your take on this, Sorry to take your time!

Medical imaging like an ultrasound or a CT scan would give you a more concrete information, as blood work may not be conclusive. The discharge (the color and amount) and other symptoms point to a mild grade infection:

Cervicitis; cervix infection
Endometritis; infection of the internal lining of the uterus.
Salpingo-ophoritis; infection of fallopian tubes and ovaries.

These would need a course of antibiotic. A physical exam by a gynecologist would help.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My Dr. Is still shying away from ct and ultra sound she took eight more blood tests did a pelvic exam and a pap test. I am still un clear of the pap results the blood tests show only vitamin D deficiency count 31. Her instructions were to take 1500 iu D3 with metamucil for 3a weeks and see how I feel. If I still feel bad she would send me to a GI specialist. I have done research on my own and now believe that I am suffering from chemical sensitivity. I believe that my symptoms fit severe allergic reactions. The did not perform an allergy test. I have discovered this exposure can lead to autoimmune disorders. What should my next step be?
Consulting a gastroenterologist would be the next step who can do the biopsy from the small intestine to look for the changes, which allergies can cause. A blood test called as in vitro test for allergy may also be done to ascertain the allergy.