Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

rib cages..bloating of the stomach and got sick but the pain..ribs

Customer Question

I have been suffering all night with severe pain in both rib cages. I am unable to lie down or sleep. I thought it was bloating of the stomach and got sick but the pain in the ribs is still there. Could constpation cause this or food poisoning?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,Pain on either side of the epigastrium,under both rib cages would probably be secondary to hyperacidity due to GERD.There may be accompanying heart burn,spasm of muscles of the chest wall or stomach spasms would be another cause.Taking a antacid like Diavol,a PPI like Lansoprazole/Rabeprazole ,a muscle relaxant like Robinaxol would help.Avoiding alcohol,spicy food,severe anxiety and stress, and smoking would also help.A follow up with your PCP to rule out gall bladder problems/GERD by a ultrasound scan and a Upper GI tract endoscopy would help eliminate/confirm these causes.Food poisoning ,inflammation of the intestines/colon could also cause similar pains but would be accompanied by severe vomiting and retching.Your doctor can guide you further.It would be proper to rule out any cardiac involvement as often this pain may be secondary to cardiac ischaemia .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I did respond. I thank you for your follow up and will as such seek you out for further question I may have.

Your answer pertaining to stress/anxiety and I believe you touched on food poisoning was the actual cause.

I suffered from 3AM to approximately 1PM. Then it just alleviated itself.

Again, Dr Aren I thank you and see that you are a true physician.

Personally my history was in the receptor theory and neurotransmitter isolation. Hence beta-blockers (selective), bronchodilators (selective beta 2) and SSRI's

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your kind comments.I am available at this site for any future queries.