911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and Ive had 3 gran

I have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and I've had 3 gran mal seizures in the last 7 years. I've passed several times also. I had the last gran mal seizure 3 weeks ago. When the paramedics arrived about 10 minutes after the seizure had ended my blood sugar was 85. My question is can or will a seizure cause blood sugars to rise.
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

No. seizures do many things, but they also are very energy intensive, and, if anything, might drop the glucose a bit.

911Doctor :

are you diagnosed with epilepsy?

Customer:

No

Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.

i'm sorry, the chat session said you had gone offline so i switched to the Q and A....

have you had an EEG... the study to look for seizures?

and how exactly were you diagnosed with hypoglycemia?

Do you take any medicines for HIGH blood sugar?

standing by.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've had several EEGs and everything looked fine, according to my Drs. I was diagnosed with hypo after a Dr showed up at a car accident I was involved in, he's the one who told me I had a low blood sugar attack. I should say he was an MD not a neuroligist. I've also had severas brain scans and I've been told they showed OK. Also can to much alcohol cause blood sugar levels to drop? Thanks
Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.

yes to the alcohol.

hypoglycemia as a cause of your seizures COULD be happening, but the fact is that hypoglycemia is a rare diagnosis and is complicated to diagnose.

HERE IS A REFERENCE FOR YOU REGARDING HYPOGLYCEMIA.

if you have not had a thorough internal medicine workup to determine the reason you drop your blood sugars you need to get this done. while extremely rare there are tumors that secrete insulin that can cause hypoglycemia so getting evaluated is very important indeed.

but for now you may consider decreasing your alcohol intake, or, if you do not choose to do this make sure you eat a good meal three times a day with both protein (meat/ fish/ chicken/ cheese/ peanut butter for example) and carbohydrates (potatoes, rice, french fries etc...) as this will allow for a more level blood sugar over time.

I am standing by if you have questions about my answer.

Best

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My diet might be the problem. I do drink but just beer and usually not more than 4. I've also had 2 neuroligists insist I was using cocaine and I have never used cocaine in my life. But the neuroligist I'm seeing right now will not look at low blood sugar as an issue but he also tells me it's not epilepsy. I guess a healthy diet is more important than I thought, as you are the first Doctor that has talked about that to me. If you can add anything that you think will help me please let me know. Thank you

Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.

a neurologist is not the person to make the diagnosis of hypoglycemia. you need to see a good general internal medicine physician or, better yet, an endocrinologist.

the fact that you have seizures, or what appear to be seizures AND that your glucose has been measured as being low after the seizures or at any time necessitates this further investigation.

thank you for your business and your question.

good luck.