Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I have a problem with my ear. It may be an ear infection? It

I have a problem with my ear. It may be an ear infection? It is swollen on the outside but no visible problem. It hurts to the touch but not a bad consitant pain. It is a little stopped up. When I blow my nose it shoots out a pain. It also hurts when I open my mouth to eat and chew. It is very very sore and tender right in front of my ear towards my face. Is there something over the counter that can fix it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome to justanswer, your symptoms could be product of an ear or throat infection or inflammatory condition .
Most infectious process are viral , however , they could also be caused by a bacterial or fungal infection .
Other conditions that could produce ear inflammation are skin conditions like eczema ,psoriasis, autoimmune disorders ( in which the immune cells mistakenly attack your own healthy body's cells ), traumatic ear injury which could be product of multiple things like using cotton swabs to clean your ears or swimming in contaminated water.
You will definitely need to consult your doctor for a further medical evaluation who will prescribe antibiotics ( if there is a bacterial infection ) or antimycotics ( if there is a fungal infection). If there is a viral infection, the treatment will be based mainly on managing your symptoms . Viral infections clear on their own without no treatment .
While you could do ,in the meantime, is applying a warm cleaned compress on the area and taking medication like acetaminophen or ibuprofen which you can get over the counter to alleviate the pain, keep your ears dry for 1 week at least , you should avoid putting water or peroxide in your ears which will make the whole process even worse and avoid scratching your ears to relieve any discomfort .
It is really important that you consult a doctor who will prescribe you antibiotics or antimycotics if it is necessary to avoid further complications like a spreading infectious process, ear damage or future hearing problems .
Please click accept if you like the answer, so I can get credit for my work . A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated. I do not get credit for my work until you click the green accept button.
If you have any additional questions or doubts , just ask me so I can help you.
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would it harm if I went and purchased OTC ear medication?
It would not necessarily do any harm . However , it is preferable that you consult your doctor to determine what is specifically producing your symptoms .

But if you decide to purchase a medication over the counter, it is necessary for you to know that most of these ear drop medications will alleviate the pain but they will not combat or kill the microorganism that is producing the infection which is the most important part of the treatment. There are other ear drops that dry up your ears alleviating the symptoms caused by the accumulation of water that becomes trapped in your ear .

So yes , you can use over the counter ear drops while you consult your doctor to have a more specific treatment.

Please click accept if you like the answer, so I can get credit for my work . A bonus will always be sincerely XXXXX XXXXX do not get credit for my work until you click the green accept button.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD