Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

To Dr. Arun only please For the past for or five years

To Dr. Arun only please

For the past for or five years I have dealt with the stress of caring for my Mother by drinking beer. Each day. Not getting drunk but throughout drinking too much. (Men's Valium!) I don't really like it. I suppose I was on my way to becoming an alcoholic. But I have stopped and there have been no withdrawal symptoms.

Last week (and a few times in the past) I did have a couple of beers. Lack of prudence. After I felt both abdominal pain and the my abdominal area was being torn apart. Really being torn. The pain was terrible. Now diet coke caused severe abdominal pain as does coffee. They do not cause the torn apart feeling.

I have this feeling that all the beer seared or burned my intestines. I mean just that is how it feels. So I won't drink beer, can live without unhealthy diet coke, miss the coffee but won't drink it.

But, and this is not so I can go back to self medicating with beer, is there something I can do to heal whatever damage I caused? I drink lots of water and soy milk seems to have a nice effect.

During these years I also became very addicted to xanax and now do not take it but take some Valium based on the Dr. Ashton method (in England)given to me by a careful doctor whom I see every two months. I could not yet function without the Valium but live for the day I am off that too. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Being a caregiver, giving up my vocation as a Catholic monk for these past four years as destroyed me. I do not feel human. Total burn out. I do lots of things day and night for my Mother so I must love her but feel no love. I have gone from a 140 vegan to all this and constant stress. But I digress. Thank you and God bless you. Craig
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome, Craig.

Your symptoms of abdominal pain are likely due to any of the following (a combination may also be a possibility);

1) esophagitis (food pipe inflammation)
2) peptic ulcer (sores in stomach and adjacent part of small intestine)
3) gastroesophageal reflex disease (GERD)
4) gall bladder stone (if not removed already).

Antacids (Maalox / Tums) and acid blockers (Nexium / Prilosec) would help. In 3-6 weeks, it should heal. You may continue with the soy milk. Meanwhile consider an ultrasound, a CT scan of the abdomen and upper gastrointestinal endoscopy for the evaluation of the cause. Valium too can be very gradually withdrawn. I can understand your stress and the efforts you have put for care of your mother. You have done it as a mission and perhaps not taken a good care of yourself. Monotony of things, pressure of duty; also causes lot of inherent stress. So doing something else by finding time for few things which you love may de stress you. I know, you already know the treatment. I just want to reinforce what you know.

It is a great privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Doctor,

First, thank you for your very kind and understanding words.Coming from you and taking the time to write them, and express them so kindly, means a lot to me and is and will be a great encouragement.

I will do all you recommend. (Except my gall bladder was removed about 15 years ago.

I just want to ask (not so I can go back to drinking beer, which also lead to terrible junk food eating and I got up to 290 (I am short) now down to 260 and slowing losing weight) did the beer cause that feeling of my insides being torn apart?

Thank you. You really are the best. God bless. Craig
You are very welcome, Craig.

Beer is not the only thing being responsible. People who are very much devoted or have a strong sense of commitment for whatever they do; tense their nerves tremendously (this is not conscious). This leads to hormonal imbalance with adrenaline flow being constant at high levels. All these play role and take it's toll.

I appreciate your kind words and faith on me.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. How true. I am tense every waking moment. My stomach often, if something esp. stressful happens goes into "knots"

Thank you for I now know the harm it is causing. I sometime find I am holding my breathe. Not breathing.

I will do all I can to change things for the better. With grateful prayers for you and yours.
Craig
You are most welcome, Craig.

Take care.

Good luck.

Dr. Arun