Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

having burning urination..urinary infection and came in negative

I have been having burning urination. I went to the local urgent care and got tested for urinary infection and came in negative. They gave me phenazopyridine and it has helped slightly. The only thing I can think might have caused it might be dehydration from a 42k brake ride. It stared after my ride 5 days ago. It still hurts to urinate.
Any thoughts would be helpful.

A burning urination in a male need to be investigated further if the urine did not show infection;

1) Prostatitis; a prostatic massage and than urine examination and culture of urine is significant work up to detect the cause. A history of unprotected / unsafe sex may also be important, which if present may need STD screening.
2) X-ray and ultrasound of kidney and bladder; a passage of small stone may be responsible for the burning.

These should be able to pin point the cause. Occasionally uroflometry and video urodynamic studies are required for the assessment. Meanwhile do following;

1) Plenty of fluids.
2) Avoid alcohol and caffeine drinks.
3) Continue Pyridium (Phenazopyridine).
4) Cranberry extract capsule (available over the counter).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I go to a urologist or my regular doctor if I am better in the next few days should I still go to the dr?

If your symptoms completely resolve, you may not need to go to a doctor. If the symptoms persist, a referral to a urologist would be prudent.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun