Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

WHy are the majority of Protonix side effects neurological?

WHy are the majority of Protonix side effects neurological? Is a proton pump inhibitor in any way related to a protein pump?
Sorry--but can you expand on your question, since neurological side effects are uncommone with Protonix or other PPI's?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Maybe I can phrase this question differently. It has quite a few neurological side effects even though rare. Here is a list I found:

asthenia, pain, migraine, anxiety, dizziness, abnormal dreams, confusion, convulsion, depression, dysarthria, emotional lability, hallucinations, hyperkinesia, hypesthesia, libido decreased, nervousness, neuralgia, neuritis, paresthesia, reflexes decreased, malaise, sleep disorder, somnolence, thinking abnormal, tremor, vertigo, speech disorder, deafness, ear pain, taste perversion, hypokinesia, or tinnitus.

I also need to know if a proton pump inhibitor has any sort of affect on Protein Pumps in the bidy?

OK. The potential side effects of any medication have to be listed if a certain percentage of the test population had them, but that doesn't mean that an individual patient will experience one or any of them if they take the medication. And, no, a proton pump inhibitor works by blocking hydrogen ion being used to form hydrocholoric acid in the stomach and it has to effect on protein pumps in the mitochondria of cells.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok...last thing then...Are there any available resources for drug interactions of 3 or more drugs? I can find interactions on 2, but no more than that. will allow you to compare interactions between multiple medications.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I actually use a lot. i can't figure out how to get it to give me side effects or more than 2 meds. It is an amazing site though.