Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

back..About 6 months ago my right ear hurt and I couldnt swallow

Customer Question

I have been living in Europe for 3 months and now back in the states. About 6 months ago my right ear hurt and I couldn't swallow. The doctor said wax was on my right eardrum and that I shouldn't use qtips as I have a smaller right ear canal than my left. The pain went away right after the ear was cleaned. 3 months later in Malta I had prostatits and then felt very lightheaded for 1 wk straight and the doctor said I had wax on the ear again(right one) and he cleaned it out and I was fine 10 mins later. I got med for the prostatitis and has been fine since. I am now back in the states and for about 3 wks I have been light headed 24/7 with constant ringing in the ears...I went to the doctor and my blood/urine tests for fine. They did have to clean out my right ear again and this time I got super dizzy when they did it as the others it was no big deal......I assume I might have labryinthitis from all the abuse I have done to my ear? I eat fine and I still go out with friends to clubs or bars for an hr but no alcohol at all, yet I just want the lightheadedness to go away...The only weird thing is my feet tingle randomly during the day. Never at night or while asleep. I think part of it might be the shoes. I dunno if this matters but I work on my computer 24/7 for my companies. Also, I can tell if I push on the right ear it's sore sometimes and I feel that I have prolly abused it a good bit these past months. I am obv not using qtips anymore and probably should just wait out the lightheadedness? I see a neurologist this wk. Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--can you describe the light headedness a bit more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Doc,

It's not vertigo where basically everything is moving in the room. Just pressure in the back of the head that is there with the ringing in the ears. No headaches or pain, just a dull feelling or the lightheadedness. I sleep fine at night and no tingling of feet when sleeping either. I also have seen an eye doctor as I thought at first it might be my eyes from looking at the computer as I have 12 poker tables going, 5 IM's, and 5 sites open, but he said I was fine and no brain tumor. Basically feels like my balance is off a bit. I won't lie I did some stupid stuff in Malta for the past 3 months to my right ear. Used Qtips again, even tried cleaning my ear with the shower head(listened to dutch guy, stupid i know) and I put pressure on it and who knows if there was bacteria. I have been very stressed and anxious for the past 3 months as I have been working a ton on my new companies, BUT since I have came back home I have zero stress or anxiety. Just the lightheadedness and feet tingling are getting to me. My mom had acute labyrinthitis for year where she could barely move from the bed to bathroom with throwing up and lost a yr of college(think from swimming underwater).... I haven't thrown up at all and I eat perfectly fine. Thanks again.

I have been on Cipro for the prostatits and I am pretty sure that doesn't have anything to do with it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Btw I put my headphones on last night and I turned it up loud and I actually had a my right ear shoot a pain twice(not that painfully, but first time ever).. Not using headphones and if I push on the right side of ear or put finger in sometimes a dull pain.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK, so we have a possible balance problem along with tingling in the feet? Did you have an MRI of the brain and head?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't fallen down or anything... Just doesn't feel the same with the lightheadedness. If I close my eyes and put my arms out I can stand still but it feels like I am going back and forth. Tingling in the feet on and off for 2 wks... I know my shoes were super tight as the guy told me from packing them in the suitcase bad and he is now stretching my black shoes.

No MRI yet since I see Neurologist Friday, but just wanted to get a 2nd opinion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Balance problem might not be the right words as I could dance fine at the clubs and I also could look into all the neon lights and none bothered me. I'm just saying I don't feel the same with the lightheadedness
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And it's only been the feet that tingle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ya basically the toes was left at first but now more the right, but I can tell at night I crunch up my feet sometimes or pull the blanket too tight on them at night and just dont let them hang on the bed.. Today I had zero tingling but when I put my shoes on and went to the mall it then started and has since I have came home.....I really believe it was more of the shoes or just from all the stress the past 3 months carried over. as for the lightheadedness and ear that's what I'm trying to figure out. Labyrinthitus?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, labyrinthitis is a possibility, although it usually doesn't last this long. If we conclude that the foot tingling is related, then this wouldn't be an additional symptom of labyrinthitis. I have to tell you that if we put the two symptoms together, multiple sclerosis has to be considered. Any manipulation of the outer ear or the ear canal would not cause labyrinthitis. I can't tell you for sure the problem here, since vitamin deficiencies could also cause these symptoms. Hopefully the neurologist will get blood work and an MRI of the brain to look more closely at what's going on.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last question,

Well I've only had it for 2-3wks... As I said my mom had it for a year. Anyways thanks again and I am sure I will know more from the neurologist.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
MS is unlikely, and the foot and the head symptoms may not even be related, but I needed to mention that