CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I am getting a shooting pain (short duration) in my skull toward

I am getting a shooting pain (short duration) in my skull toward the back of my head on the left side. It tends to go on for an hour or so and then goes away for indeterminate time. Each time it comes back it seems as if the shooting pain is worse. This came on Tuesday about 3am and has been coming and going ever since. Any advice would be appreciated
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today.

You may be experiencing a combination headache... migraine headache ( can last for many days to weeks) with something called ice pick headaches, which are are short, stabbing, extremely intense headaches. They only last between five and 30 seconds and come out of nowhere, and can strike anywhere on the head. This kind of headache will literally feel as if an ice pick is being stuck into your head, then disappear very quickly. In almost every case, no cause for the headaches is found. The medical description of this type of headache is: "Transient and localised stabs of pain in the head that occur spontaneously in the absence of organic disease of underlying structures or of the cranial nerves."

Migraines are often triggered by certain foods and allergies... have you looked in to the possible foods that might be the culprit in your case?

Foods that can be Migraine triggers include:

• Vegetables

• beans

• pickles

• chili peppers

• olives

• Fruits

• dried fruits

• avocados

• red plums

• bananas

• citrus fruits

• Breads

• any fresh yeast product straight from the oven

• yeast breads

• pizza

• soft pretzels

• Meats and seafood

• any preserved or processed meat

• bacon

• hot dogs

• sausage

• Dairy products

• aged cheeses

• sour cream

• whole milk

• Beverages

• alcoholic beverages, especially red wine

• chocolate beverages

• caffeinated beverages

• Miscellaneous

• anything with MSG

• artificial sweeteners

• vinegar

. Migraines result from a combination of blood vessel enlargement and the release of chemicals from nerve fibers that coil around these blood vessels. During a migraine, an artery enlarges that is located on the outside of the skull just under the skin of the temple (temporal artery). it can , but doesn't always cause a release of chemicals that cause pain, numbness, tingling, dizziness, nausea, and more. So you can have a migraine with or without the other symptoms. A Neurologist is the one who will be able to help pinpoint the cause and determine if it is migraines, as well as come up with a plan to help you. IN the mean time,Try resting in a dark quiet room... if you can take it, ibuprofen according to package directions is much more effective than tylenol.. also I would recommend alternating hot and cold packs to the back of your neck...as well as smelling some eucalyptus/peppermint oil.. together or individually, just for a second.

As with any other head pain, there can be too many possible causes to guess. A doctor's diagnosis is very important. I hope this information helps you. Please let me know if I can help you further:-)

CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.