Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

I am 44 yold female...I have been told I am anemic and to

Customer Question

I am 44 yold female...I have been told I am anemic and to take slow fe....My WBC is 3.7 ..
RBC is 4.0 and I have a Ferritin level of 6. I am feeling extremely tired, cold, irritable to mention a few....should I worry about anything else besides anemia?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

It is not unusual to have anemia in a woman who has not reached menopause. Given the fact that you are 44 years old, I am assuming you are still having regular periods. If your periods are heavy, that makes you more likely to have anemia.

If that's the case, you should not be concerned and slow-Fe should bring up the levels of iron and improve your anemia.

However, if your periods are very light, not frequent or if you have stopped having them all together, you do need to have Colonoscopy and Endoscopy to make sure you do not have any source of blood loss in your colon or in your stomach. If you have any abdominal pain, changes in bowel habits, blood in your stool, then you should definitely proceed with having colonoscopy/endoscopy done.

The symptoms of being tired and cold are typical for someone with anemia and do not, by themselves, imply of any serious conditions.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was concerned about the wbc being low as well
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like to know if low WBC of 3.7 is a concern

That should not be a concern. WBCs range from 4.0 to 11.0 and 3.7 is not very concerning. Often its a lab error. I would recommend repeat your CBC (Complete Blood Count) and Ferritin level in about 6 weeks after startin Slow-Fe.

If WBCs remain low at that time, you might need further work -up but again, 3.7 is not a concerning number and can be observed at this point. I am sorry I did not clarify this in my initial reply.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to assist you further.

I do have to step away from the computer for about an hour but will get back to you as soon as I return if you do have any questions.