CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

Can heartburn cause scratchy and horse back of throat? a tightness

Can heartburn cause scratchy and horse back of throat? a tightness or soreness or thick feeling behind the tongue? Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today.

CamilleRN :

Yes, while you sleep as acid travels up the throat this can cause irritation which would cause all of those symptoms.

CamilleRN :

Have you been examined by your Doctor and told you have Gastric Reflux?

Customer:

This isnt so much when im sleeping, but a couple hours after eating i get a very thick, horse or frog in throat feeling behind my tongue and kinda around my jaw. Sometimes worse then others, sometimes its a soreness, othertimes a cottony feeling. Like right now, having eaten 2 hours ago, i have some sore, horesness. I have not been diagnosed yet with anything, but suspect that could be the cause. Or maybe some kind of allergies, which was my other concern as I have been dealing with an allergy diagnosis recently to certain foods. Does this sound more reflux or allergy related to you? Thanks

CamilleRN :

Allergies can also cause this kind of feeling, but generally a food allergy will surface sooner... often within minutes of eating the food you are sensitive to.

Customer:

hmm, and then it passes?

CamilleRN :

Reflux is more consistent with the 2 hour time frame

Customer:

i see

Customer:

is either dangerious

CamilleRN :

what did you eat today before this happened?

Customer:

split pea soup, chicken and ham lunchmeat

Customer:

i had this morning also, after eating a banana, but that came on sooner, around 20 min after eating it

Customer:

nw its more scratchy and horse, less thick, but this morning it was more thick and cottony feeling

CamilleRN :

There are different levels of sensitivity to foods... some can be life threatening, most are annoying. Gastric reflux can erode the esophagus and cause disease that can become serious.

CamilleRN :

Split pea soup is very gassy,.... this would cause reflux to be active in a susceptible person.

Customer:

i never had food allergies, but a month ago I had hives, so i was given steroids, benadryl and zantac, durring this medicine was the first time i got the aweful thick cottony feeling in my throat, but ive had it ever sense at different times after eating or times.

CamilleRN :

I would ask that you see your Doctor, tell him/her what is going on... you may need a referral to see a Gastroenterologist, who would be able to either confirm or rule out reflux.

Customer:

i see but it doesnt sound like allergic reaction to you at this moment, more reflux

Customer:

related

CamilleRN :

How much water do you drink a day? Is your saliva generally thick?

Customer:

i have been drinking a ton, it tends to help a little

CamilleRN :

I think it sounds more reflux related, yes

Customer:

maybe 9 bottles a day

CamilleRN :

when did you finish the prednisone?

Customer:

about 3.5 weeks ago, i hated it, i felt it made me feel crazy and prone to panic

Customer:

heart racing, and moody and anxiety ridden

CamilleRN :

yes, unfortunately some people do react to prednisone in this way.

CamilleRN :

Do you have a tendency to worry?

Customer:

so i followed up after with an allergy doc, who ordered a bunch of blood work and it came back with positives to various foods, and now I have to see him again. I have never had allergies. So now im sensative to allergy related concerns, although I have trouble believing the results, as it listed positives to things like wheat, soy, and peanuts, things ive eaten my whole life and large amounts with no known issues

CamilleRN :

you know.... it's possible that you have a bit of anxiety causing these or worsening these symptoms.

Customer:

yes, i am very anxiety ridden by nature, and prone to hypochondria I should warn you

CamilleRN :

The way allergies works is a bit complex...

Customer:

yes, i have trouble discerning real symptoms from false ones, i recognize that. Still it tough, i know these feelinjgs are there

Customer:

so im never sure when to ignore and get on with life, and when to worry legitimately

CamilleRN :

we can be allergic to something and not know it for years and years... because on a microbiological level.. we have many receptor sites which permit us to consume or be exposed to the allergen. Once these receptor cites are filled, we will begin to display an allergic reaction.

CamilleRN :

I am sorry you are going through this kind of torment. I want to give you some info on anxiety... ok?

Customer:

sure

Customer:

i welome it

Customer:

any and all info

CamilleRN :

Being acutely aware of your body and the most subtle changes, such as an increase in heart rate, can be a catalyst for anxiety...causing your body to shoot out adrenaline which can lead to some or all of these symptoms:

Chest pain , tightness or discomfort

Fear of dying

Fear of losing control

Tremors
Dizziness or feeling like you might pass out

Sweating

Chills

Hot flashes

Nausea
Numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or face
Palpitations

Fast heart rate

Shortness of breath

Feeling like you are choking

Feeling detached or disconnected from reality
Feelings of impending doom

For example.. you bend over to pick something up…. Your heart rate goes up.. you become aware of it and become anxious …now starts the barrage of symptoms and a full blown panic attack. Your body is producing adrenaline and the symptoms keep on coming…

The single most important thing to remember is that THIS CAN NOT HARM YOU. It’s just the adrenaline ….. and it WILL pass.

The scary thing about Anxiety is that it can seem to come out of nowhere.. without a concrete cause that you can pinpoint. Anxiety can cause alterations in breathing patterns and it may be that you are holding your breath or breathing too rapidly which can cause fatigue and the symptoms you are experiencing. There is something you can do right now to stop it..... initiate proper breathing. You can help alleviate the feeling of throat tightness, panic and and shortness of breath by changing your breathing pattern to abdominal breathing. To abdominal breathe ( which is a much more effective breathing technique) place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest... watch to see which rises. It should be the abdomen, NOT the chest.Practice breathing using your abdominal muscles... (to breathe with chest muscles causes fatique and more shortness of breath) by taking in a deep breath through your nose.. making sure only the hand on your abdomen moves, slowly.. and exhale slowly through the mouth.. your abdomen should flatten with exhalation. Do this three breaths at a time. Breathing correctly will immediately eliminate anxiety...., every time. If it comes back do it again. Here is an excellent link to read more about anxiety:

ANXIETY

Consider taking extra hydration ( atleast 8 glasses of water per day), this will help as well as de-stressing through the use of biofeedback and relaxation techniques ,

definitely plan to get adequate sleep. Sleeping is so important for over all well being.

Here is an interesting article and video:

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

This article explains why incorrect breathing causes anxiety symptoms:

http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/003071.htm

Also look for EASY CALM by John Mercer video series on youtube.. John Mercer has some excellent techniques.

Customer:

Thanks you very much, this is all helpful and non invasive and potentially verybenificial

CamilleRN :

Anxiety can take you right over the edge... you can go from oh oh...is this an allergy to OMG I am going to die. This is what anxiety does. You really really can stop it:-)

Customer:

totally

Customer:

I am prone to thise

CamilleRN :

The very best thing you can do when it starts is the breathing...

Customer:

although I think real symptoms are mixed in, which complicates things

CamilleRN :

and telling yourself... I have done this a million times before, it has never hurt me, it never will. I am FINE. and every time that scary thought comes back... do it again.

CamilleRN :

yes

CamilleRN :

you surely have real symptoms

CamilleRN :

but anxiety compounds it greatly.

Customer:

yeah, understood

Customer:

i think you are right on

CamilleRN :

Did you know that when you become anxious your gastric juices increase?

Customer:

oh man, just what i need

CamilleRN :

this can make reflux worse.

Customer:

what a cycle

CamilleRN :

naaaaaaa.... you can control it..start today:-)

Customer:

so you are leaning towards heartburn mixed with anxiety making everything amplified and wworse

CamilleRN :

Yes. A very wise Doctor once told me that it's often a vicious circle--hyperventilation--alkaline pH--chest tightness--"oh, God is this a heart attack"?--faster breathing, and on and on.

CamilleRN :

you'll notice that when you get busy doing something the symptoms will improve.

CamilleRN :

See your Doctor so he can diagnose and treat the underlying physical proble, which is likely gastric reflux.

CamilleRN :

errrr..... problem.

CamilleRN :

I H ope I have helped you today.

CamilleRN :

( and I hope I can type better soon) lol

Customer:

hah, thanks you. I must admit, one last thing, I have reoccuring stomach ailments, and I have avoided the tests for I hate the idea of them, the cat scans with dyes and drinking things, the endoscopy procedures terrify me.

Customer:

So what again makes you suspect reflux and not allergy, just curious

CamilleRN :

Tell them you don't want to have dye... lots of people refuse it. Yes, dye is more conclusive... but it can be done without.

CamilleRN :

And endoscopy is really not bad at all

CamilleRN :

you are asleep and it's quick.

Customer:

hmm

CamilleRN :

I have had it done.. and I've watched it being done.

Customer:

that does help

CamilleRN :

but I do understand your fears.

CamilleRN :

You CAN have a ct scan without contrast.

Customer:

so why do you suspect relfux and not allergy

CamilleRN :

because the symptoms of a food allergy are usually more immediate.

Customer:

is ee

Customer:

thank you very much. besides time frame are there any other tell tale signs of allergy verses gerd

CamilleRN :

You can avoid all tests for now by process of elimination in your diet

Customer:

what should i avoid

CamilleRN :

an allergy to a food will cause an itchy tingly feeling in your throat and tongue

Customer:

i am already trying to modify my diet based on the test results

CamilleRN :

what did your results say

Customer:

hmm, i do feel that sometimes as well, but again what is in my head verses reality, who knows

Customer:

its all kinda of subjective, i can always swallow, breath, talk, etc...

Customer:

the doctor looked in my throat before and said it looked ok, but who knows

Customer:

the results said, peanuts, soy, wheat, almonds, lemons, apples, were all a problem

CamilleRN :

then use this as your guideline... can I breathe..yes, can I swallow, yes, can I talk, yes.. ok, I"m good:-) and REALLY believe that.

Customer:

which shocked me

CamilleRN :

what was the level of allergy?

Customer:

is that a safe philosphy

CamilleRN :

did it say mild...moderate...?

CamilleRN :

it is a VERY safe and very effective philosophy

Customer:

coupe were mild, couple were moderate, peanuts, soy, wheat, lemon, all moderate

Customer:

rest mild

Customer:

also shrimp

CamilleRN :

ok... try to avoid the moderates... the milds probably won't cause any reaction at all

Customer:

i worry this cottony feeling, is swelling and itchyness and I will suffocate and die from a reaction

Customer:

but i know now like you said, probably its reflux

Customer:

and even then, aplified by my anxieties

CamilleRN :

there is a lot of substitute grains available these days. Go to a health food store and look for Gluten Free foods.. you will be amazed. The best gluten free breat, in my opinion, is millet and flax.. tastes really good.

CamilleRN :

oh god no... you will NOT

Customer:

but its an uncomfortable feeling and stressful

CamilleRN :

you will feel much better knowing you are avoiding the foods that you have a moderate allergy to.

CamilleRN :

yes I am sure that it is

Customer:

40 years i have never had a serious allergic reaction, unless you count the hives, but now i worry about it

CamilleRN :

people that have these issues are managed best by avoiding triggers.

Customer:

but then again, if its heartburn, that is better, but also concerning

CamilleRN :

and you know what... I will be the hives weren't from food.

CamilleRN :

could have been ANYTHING

Customer:

i appreciate all your time

CamilleRN :

you are very welcome:-)

Customer:

so its a coincidense that i got all the hives and those foods showed up on my blood work

Customer:

so why hives at that moment?

CamilleRN :

do you know dermatologists see more cases of hives that they can not trace to a cause? this is true.

Customer:

i stil get some pink patches even now, a month after the outbreak

Customer:

subtle, not nearly like before, they tend to come and then go away

CamilleRN :

could have been a soap... a perfume... something in the environment.. plants... cat dander.... any number of things.

Customer:

little ones

CamilleRN :

do you have pets?

Customer:

i have one cat

Customer:

but thats off the table, i cant get rid of her

CamilleRN :

well..

CamilleRN :

I TOTALLY understand

CamilleRN :

you don't have to

CamilleRN :

but you might have to take an antihistamine...or put up with the symptoms... if they are mild.

CamilleRN :

remember what I told you about receptor sites getting filled?

Customer:

can I ask one question about serious throat swelling, tingling, itching, etc... would that come on suddenly and be serious and combined with other things? or could it happen over hours, etc...

CamilleRN :

you can have a cat for years and years... and then suddenly seem to develop an allergy.

Customer:

i see

CamilleRN :

the great news is most people will eventually stop reacting to the allergen

CamilleRN :

( some won't)

CamilleRN :

Ask to be tested for cat dander...just so you'll know

CamilleRN :

if this is a factor or not

Customer:

i think that was on there, actually, it was a mild positive, like slightly over the number it should be

Customer:

but he didnt list it as a concern

Customer:

he just listed all those foods

CamilleRN :

None of the items were severe... so this is a very good thing. Do try to avoid the moderates and see if you improve.

CamilleRN :

also...

CamilleRN :

An air purifier for the bedroom would help tremendously if the kitty is part of the problem. Walmart has some inexpensive models.. but the best and most effective are the ones made by a company called Austin Air. here is alink to their products for your review:

http://www.air-purifiers-america.com/austin-air.asp

CamilleRN :

People with severe allergies do well with them... so if your's is mild it would be great for you.

Customer:

ok, thanks. lots of great info. So once again, you suspect gerd though more then allergy related tongue or throat swelling

CamilleRN :

yes I really do.

Customer:

and probably exagerated by the steroid, and my anxieties in general

CamilleRN :

yes

Customer:

i am schedualed with a therapist to discuss anxiety and OCD

Customer:

thanks again, for your time, I will let you go now

Customer:

i know I hogged your time

Customer:

hopefully I can get better, and i dont die from allergies or heartburn related issues!

CamilleRN :

I am glad to hear that..... you could really benefit from some cognitive behavioral therapy... this is a talk therapy that will help you to overcome feelings of anxiety.

CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks! Good chat i will follow up with questions if needed and they arrise, thanks agan.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
Any time! :-)
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)