Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have been taking care of my 94 year old bedridden mother

I have been taking care of my 94 year old bedridden mother for 5 years now, and of course, have seen many changes in her physical and mental state. She is unable to get out of bed to visit her doctor so I communicate with him via the phone, and so far, I have been able to give her good care.

She has become forgetful and a lot of times, does not know I am her daughter and thinks I am a caregiver and that she is in a nursing home, hospital, etc. I have adjusted to that and go along with it but now she is becoming nasty and mean. Can you give me an idea what causes that? All of sudden she will be nasty even after I have been nice and pleasant to her. Also, at times she things and people that are not there...is that hallucinating?

Her initial diagnosis was debility and peripheral neuropathy. She does not have much pain now but her sight and hearing are bad. I equate those nasty moods to having been bedridden so long and deteriorating health. She has always been a mild mannered, pleasant person.

She is presently on an antibiotic for a UTI, 1mg of Xanax twice a day, Atenolol, and Vicodin when needed.

Again, is there a medical reason for these moods?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 3 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

This is likely a sign of the dementia she is experiencing

Dr Brims :

This leads to anger and nastiness often out of frustration due to memory impairment

Customer:

Is dementia a form of alzheimers? Also, when I cannot reason with her, instead of starting an argument am I right in wlaking away?

Dr Brims :

Alzheimers is a form of dementia, the fact that she has dementia does not mean she has alzheimers

Dr Brims :

I cannot determine if you are right or wrong in walking away, that is up to you. It is a judgement call

Customer:

Okay, I understand. I have found that it is better to walk away because it quiets her down and avoids confrontation. Than you for your answer, I appreciate it. I am going to click "accept"

Dr Brims :

You're welcome,

If you have other questions at another time you may request me by starting your question with "for Dr Brims"

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic

If not, please click the green ACCEPT button to end this chat session

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience