Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

my little toe has a shooting pain when I lay down at night

my little toe has a shooting pain when I lay down at night and I can't sleep ....any suggestions on how calm the pain. It seems a little better when I stand up...not sure I that I might have metatarsalgia
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.

How long and how frequently are you having the symptoms?

Is there any swelling, redness, tenderness?

Is it on one or both sides?

Do you take any medicine?

Did you have any test?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Are you male or female? age?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a similar episode about a year ago for about 2 weeks and I thought I might have fractured a small bone but after an xray it revealed nothing and the pain went away shortly after that time. It is almost a year latter and the shooting pain just started again yesterday and tonight when I layed down to bed it really started to hurt and I can sleep with the shooting pain . It is in my right foot small toe only....yes it is a bit red and tender but not really any swelling. The only medicine I take is a statin . I did not have any test since it just started and I don't understand what activiated it ? The only thing is I played basketball for the first time in a few months on Sunday and ran a couple miles on a treadmill on Wednesday which is pretty typical. I am male age 51 and I would say in good health. I need to know how to settle the shooting pain so I can get some sleep ?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

Metatarsalgia pain is felt more near the ball of the foot.

It can affect one or more toes.

It is more when you stand or run or walk.

As your pain is only on lying it may be due to a different cause.

On laying down there can be pressure or pinching on nerve.

This can be in the spine or in the limb.

With there are tenderness, redness there can be a local inflammation too.

This can occur from arthritis, trauma.

I would advise to get an examination by doctor.

Doctor can then decide about tests after physical examination.

You can now apply heat or warm compress.

You can try anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen, naproxen if you do not have any contraindication to see if that helps.

You need to take it after meal to avoid irritation of stomach.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would you suggest a podiatrist ? Can a chiropractor help if you believe I might have some pressure possibly on a nerve ? Why would this only hurt more when I lay down and not when I am standing up and walking ?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
On laying down there can be impingement on nerve from posture.

I would suggest to get an examination by your GP first.

He can evaluate & take necessary initial tests.

He can then refer you to appropriate specialist.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience