Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

What is the best way to wean off of Celexa? It has caused me too much

What is the best way to wean off of Celexa? It has caused me too much weight gain. I also just was diagnosed with Hoshimoto's, so I am on Synthroid. I was put on it for pain management. I have a pain management Dr. I'm sure he can try something else. I am 4ft 81/2. I have never been over the 120's. That was a lot for me. Now, all of a sudden I am 168. It searched for an answer and I found Hoshimotos, and I realized that I have been on Celexa. Please tell me the safest way to wean, because I am an epileptic. Thanks. What would be a non weight gaining TCA?

Hello and thank you for your question,

Could you please tell me the dose of Celexa that you are currently taking and how long have you been on it?

What other medications besides Celexa and Synthroid do you take?

Thanks,

Julia

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I take lots of medications. I have a Undifferentiated Connective Tissue, and I take 40 mg of Celexa a day. It is for pain management. It has put on about 20-30 lbs of weight. I am not sure if it was the Celexa, but right after I started taking it, I gained weight right away. I usually am in the 120's and now I am 168lb's. I also take 20 mg of Oxycontin qid, and Dilaudid 4mg (only 15 pills a month max to be used sparingly for severe pain). I am very concerned about my weight. I do only light exercise such as stretching and light weight bearing exercising, because seizures are triggered if I get my heart rate up, or if I get over heated. I just found out that I have had a heart attack at some point recently. The heart attack was within the last few months. I am scheduled for a stress test. I have severe pain from bone disease, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory eye disease (uveitis, optic neuritis, retinal vasculitis), I also have chronic pain syndrome, and epilepsy, renal tubular acidosis, Fanconi syndrome, Lupus, uveitis, antiphospholipid syndrome, Hoshimoto's and more. I just found out about Hoshimotos thyroiditis. I am a Registered Nurse BTW, so you can use some medical terms in explaining things. I know why I am on all of my meds.
My other med's are:Keppra XR 1500 mg BID, Keppra XR 500mg BID, Keppra 500mg HS, Topamax 200mg BID, Os-Cal-D 500 500mg/200IU BID, Phosphorus TID, Zantac 150mg pm, Ambiem 10 mg hs, Iron 50mg TID, Plavix 75mg hs, Sodium Bicarbonate 6-650mg tabs QID, Calcitriol am, Trazodone 50 mg hs (combined with Ambien to help prevent difficult seizures), Plaquinil 200mg BID (about to be d/c due to eye prob), Levothyroxine 25 mcg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU/day I read a book called, "Drug Muggers" by Suzzy Cohen. Some of the supplements that I am on are to support the depletion that is caused by the medications that I am on.
PRN Medications: Myralax for constipation, Multivitamin am, Vitamin B2, Magnesium complex 1000 mg., Folic Acid am, Valium 5 mg prn for seizure breakthrough, Diflocinac cream for severe arthritis pain, Zofran 4 mg for nausea,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is anyone there to help me. I want to know what is the best way to taper off of Celexa?

Hi there,

Some I did not get a notification that you replied to me earlier with a list of all your meds so I apologize for not writing back to you sooner. I accidentally discovered your reply this morning when I logged on.

Weaning off Celexa should be discussed with the doctor who initially prescribed it for you, however, weaning should be done over about a 6-8 week period. First you would reduce the dose to 20 mg daily for about 2 weeks, then to 10 mg daily for about 2 weeks and then to 10 mg every other day for 2 weeks.

Celexa does have a potential for weight gain so it is possible that it was the culprit of you starting to gain weight. You might want to consider switching to another SSRI such as Lexapro which does not cause weight gain. If you decide to switch, I believe you do not need to wean off Celexa, you can just begin taking Lexapro.

Also, having Hypothyroidism can cause weight gain so another option would be to see if your weight starts to come off in several weeks after you started Synthroid. The dose of Synthroid might need to be increased for best results.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia