Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

I was diagnosed with lichenoid dermatitis ,What are the causes

I was diagnosed with lichenoid dermatitis ,What are the causes of this? I do not take any medication other then thyroid medicine.I do not drink alcohol.I eat a healthy diet ,I have not even taken a asprin in the last year yet it is spreading all over my body.I Just had a physical and it was good.can I take cortisone cream to help with some relief...I am currently waiting to see a dermatologist but the wait is long due to only one in the town I live in.

Lichenoid dermatitis is a form of allergy of the skin. it is caused by an allergic reaction to medication or other chemicals, or it develops as a result of a viral infection.

In some cases, it may be autoimmune in nature.

Yes, you can use cortisone cream for relief. Steroids like cortisone is one of mainstays of treatment of this condition.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Autoimmune such as Lupus ? cause that is what the doctor thinks here.what other autoimmune could it be?
Yes, autoimmune such as Lupus. Lupus can affect the skin as well as other parts of the body.

Sarcoidosis is another condition which can cause Lichenoid dermatitis.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What tests would they use to test me for either of those?
You will first need a test called ANA (Anti Nuclear Antibody) to check if this is really due to an autoimmune disease.

The other tests for lupus is the lupus anticoagulant test, ESR, C-reactive protein CBC. But lupus diagnosis is based more on symptoms than tests.

To diagnose Sarcoidosis, you will need a biopsy of the affected skin..

I hope this helps.