TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.
13956133

I was recently diagnosed with Reactive Arthritis. I had a flare

I was recently diagnosed with Reactive Arthritis. I had a flare up a couple of weeks ago in which i had penile lessions. I went on steroids for about 12 days with a step down dose starting at 20mg and stepping down every 3 days.

Within 2 days of the steroids the lessions were gone but i started have urological issues (urgency to urinate and discomfort in testicles).

By the time I was done with the steroids all those issues are sporatic and not as constant as they were. But a redness of the penis still remains (not painful just a darker red color). The first part of my question is whether this is normal?

I also developed a cold (cough and congestion no fever) while on the steroids. As of this weekend I have small red bumps under the skin of my palms. Is this related to everything else or something I should have evaluated?

I am off the steroids but not 100%. Should I do anymore?
Category: Health
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 5 years ago.

Have you been investigated or treated for an STD, as the cause of the reactive arthritis?

If so what tests were done?

were you given any antibiotics?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was tested for stds several times (the standard 10 panel) and they have always come back negative except for hsv-1. They believe this started with a stomach parasite of some sort. \

When they were initially trying to diagnose this (several months ago) they gave me over 2 months of doxycycline

OK.

Well, even if it was 'non-gonococcal urethritis" ( a common cause of STD that may not be detected with the standard test you had, the doxycycline should have been sufficient. Based on your symptoms, I would still think an STD would have certainly been possible.

I would want to make sure you were tested for HIV and syphilis as well.

The rash on your hands may be an inflammatory type reaction that we do see with reactive arthritis- if the above tests I mentioned are negative.

Your cough and cold is likely unrelated- and from a respiratory virus.

I hope that helps.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just got the results about an hour ago from my hiv and syphyllis tests they were both negative.

Great. Those are two things you don't need to worry about as causes for the rash.

I would then attribute just to the inflammatory reaction along with the reactive arthritis.

I would see your doctor in follow up as they may need to restart or raise the steroids.

Good luck.