Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

can I take lisinipril instead of novasc

can I take lisinipril instead of novasc

Hello and thank you for your question,

No, Lisinopril of 5 mg should not be substituted for Norvasc of 5 mg for several reasons - the doses are not equivalent, Lisinopril 5 mg is significantly less than Norvasc 5 mg. Also Lisinopril and Losartan are in the same drug category and should not be used at the same time.

My recommendation would be to call your dr's office to ask for a refill on Norvasc. I would strongly you from substituting Lisinopril for Norvasc.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've run out of Novasc and am awaiting a refill from my mail order formulary. So is it okay just to take the Losartan only until I reach my md?

Well, its not at optimal (as your blood pressure might go up) but that's really the only choice. If you are out of Norvasc for 2-3 days, it should not make a big impact on your blood pressure so if you can get a hold of your MD by Monday and restart taking Norvasc Monday, that will be fine. I would encourage you to keep an eye on your blood pressure over the next couple of days while you are off Norvasc to make sure it doesn't go above 180/100. If it does, you might need to go to ER to get a refill on Norvasc if your MD continues to be unavailable.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.