Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I had a shot of cortisone into my elbow for tennis elbow,

I had a shot of cortisone into my elbow for 'tennis elbow', and it is more sore and swollen than anytime since May. Is this normal? I am concerned.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

When did you get the injection?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This morning at 9:30
Ok, sometimes steroid injections can be very irritating to the tissue and the general area in which they are given. The medicine itself is irritating and the technique the Dr used may have caused more inflammation that normal. Also, the more the needle is moved around during the injection process, the more swelling you could have. Usually it is due to what is termed a 'flare reaction' and it is a reaction to the medication and will last 24-48 hours after the injection. Some patients notice numbness and this can occur if the shot is given around a nerve. Ice is good to continue to use directly on that elbow the first 24 hours to help with the inflammation process that the injection sometimes causes. It should be a lot better by the time you wake up tomorrow but if not, I'd call the Dr who did the injection and let them take a look.